birding-aus

Grasswren and owl taxonomy

To: Michael Ramsey <>, "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Grasswren and owl taxonomy
From: David James <>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 19:05:25 -0800 (PST)
Hi Michael,

The biogeography of a Tasmanian-New Zealand Morepork owl species is interesting
and complex, but I'm not convinced it is impossible.  It may be unique as you
point out (from a Tas-NZ perspective), but that doesn't rule it out. But first
to the morphology.
The morphology has been discussed by Mees 1960s, Schodde & Mason 1980, 1997 and
Dunn 1999 (= HANZAB). They sort of agree but not completely, and I don't think
any of them got it exactly right. . When I looked at specimens recently (with
Murray) it was immediately apparent that NZ novaeseelandiae, Tas leucopsis and
Norfolk I undulata all cluster together as a morphological group. They differ
consistently from LHI albaria, Wet Tropics lurida, eastern boobook and arid
ocellata. The differences between the novaeseelandiae and boobook groups seem
to be greater than the differences within either group. That is the basis of a
significant difference between the two groups. I need to get a larger sample
size of specimens before I can describe the pattern fully, but for now here is
a summary: the novaeseelandiae group are smaller and have darker ground colour
below, characteristic fine spotting on the upperparts and bright yellow to
yellow-orange
 eyes.  Possibly this is convergent evolution. A paper by Norman et al. showed
a close genetic relationship between novaeseelandiae and undulata but not
leucopsis; however, it is an incomplete study and not particularly
enlightening.

If these 3 were a species apart from the mainland boobooks then what are the
plausible biogeographical scenarios?. Firstly, speciation (and subspeciation)
always works by one species becoming two (in a given space), when some form of
isolation occurs. So here are some scenarios. 1) The Aus owl evolved into 2
species, 1 on the mainland and 1 on Tas; the Tas species then colonised NZ and
NI (in whatever order and by whatever route) and diverged into 2 then 3
subspecies.  2) The Aus bird colonised NZ where it evolved into a new species,
and then recolonised Tas; problem is that it would then have to displace the
birds already in Tas on its return, and that seems unlikely. 3) The Aus bird
colonised NI, speciated, then invaded NZ and Tas (in what ever order), but
again colonisation of Tas with a resident Aus form seems unlikely.  4) It
radiated out of NZ and across Aus, but then you would not expect a change in
morphology between Tas and Aus and
 between NI and LHI, and would have a problem explaining the diversity of small
ninox owls in Asia etc. There are some more unlikely scenarios. Only scenario 1
seems plausible to me.

Now, suppose they are all one species across Aus, Tas, NZ, LHI and NI with lots
of subspecies. The subspecies still have to evolve (1 becomes 2) through a
process of island biogeography and evolution.  The only step that needs differ
from scenario 1 is that the owl did not need to speciate after colonising Tas
and before colonising NZ and NI. We know that many other birds have speciated
in Tas.

Fossil evidence would help test it, but Murray tells me he can't find much.  A
thoughtful DNA would be able to test if the gap between Tas and Aus is larger
than the gaps between NZ, NI and Tas, and if the gap between LHI and NI is
larger than between NI and NZ.

As Murray said before, an Owl book by Weick considers the Red Boobook  N.
lurida, of the Wet Tropics (not just Atherton) to be a full species. However,
the IOC does not agree for now, so it is not on the 'new aussie checklist' that
started these discussions. It is a distinctive-looking form, though the calls
are identical to my ears. But I am not convinced it is a valid species. I think
it hybridises with ocellata around Paluma, but the jury is still out on that
one.  Here's the thing: it is not that hard to resolve the
species-or-subspecies issue when the breeding distributions abut. Lurida and
ocellata breed side by side in NQ with ocellata sort of surrounding lurida in
its rainfor enclave, Either they hybridise and are therefore subspecies or they
don't and are therefore species. Recent forest clearing may bl the picture, and
perhaps a small amount of hybridisation is hard to interpret, but there aren't
many data.

David James,
Sydney