birding-aus

Abrolhos Trip Report

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Abrolhos Trip Report
From: John Reidy <>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 17:19:54 +1100
Hi all.

Eight keen birders plus crew visited Pelsaert Island in the southern Abrolhos group off Geraldton on Wednesday 9 November and yes we did see Lesser Noddys and we were very fortunate to have Dr Chris Sulman aboard who is the expert on these birds.

It was difficult to locate a boat because most boats had departed Geraldton as it was out of season for fishing and cray fishing. I located Justin Pirrottina whose boat, Apparition, was surveyed as a charter boat as well as for commercial fishing.

Justin was very helpful in selecting the best day to go out (we allowed a few days window in which to go) as it is usually windy at this time of year and the day in fact was superb with a 2 to 3 knot breeze blowing most of the time. He was also an excellent host.

Bird seen were:

Lesser Noddy (1,000,s)
Common Noddy (10,000s)
Crested Terns (100s)
Sooty Tern (100s)
Bridled Tern (3)
Caspian Tern (6 - 10)
Fairy Tern (3 - 6)
Roseate Tern (6 - 10)
Wedge-tailed Shearwater
Hutton's Shearwater
Osprey
White-bellied Sea-eagle
Ruddy Turnstone
Red Knot
Red-necked Stint
Sandplover species (no consensus reached)
Sooty Oystercatcher (1)
Pied Oystercatcher (many pairs)
Silver Gull
Pacific Gull
Pied Cormorant
Shy Albatross (1 on the way out)
Grey Teal (8)
Welcome Swallow
Silvereye
Eastern Reef Egret (grey morph)

Also seen:
Humpback Whale (3 or 4 with one breaching in the distance)
Sea Lions (3)
Bottlenose Dolphins

Among the variety of sea life we saw was a Spanish Dancer which was a 30 cm long red frilly sea slug, a most attractive animal.

I can certainly recommend the boat to any birders or groups of birders wishing to visit the Abrolhos.

Happy birding.

--
John Reidy
Sydney