birding-aus

Goschen Trip Report and Surrounds

To: <>, <>
Subject: Goschen Trip Report and Surrounds
From: Ed Williams <>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 07:04:02 +0000
Interesting that there were no Woodswallows picked up on the Twitchathon as
there were reasonable numbers of white-browed and a handfull still of masked
there when we went yesterday...  (I guess that's the way it goes on a
Twitchathon sometimes!)

> To: ;
> Subject: RE: [Birding-Aus] Goschen Trip Report and Surrounds
> Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 05:14:36 +0000
>
> Thanks Ed.
>
> Yes, despite its size, Goschen BR (central Vic) is a pretty special place,
> quenching my thirst for an 'arid-land bird-experiences' (for want of a better
> phrase) without having to drive 2 or 300 kms further north.
>
> Interestingly Goschen changes dramatically from season to season, and
> sometimes very quickly. For instance, it can be full of Black and,
> occasionally, Pied Honeyeater, when the Eremophila longifolia and eucalypts
> are flowering. These suddenly disappear, to be replaced by other honeyeaters
> such as Spiny-cheeked and White-fronted (mainly winter) Honeyeater.
>
> When there 2 weeks ago, there must have been 200 plus Masked Woodswallow
> (along with 600 plus White-browed); the Twitchathon teams that visited
> Goschen this weekend failed to see any. The 400 plus Budgies currently at
> Goschen (by far highest number I have recorded in a single site anywhere in
> Victoria) will only hang around as long as the grasses are seeding.
>
> Another thing mentioned in the report (http://tim-dolby.blogspot.com) was the
> presence of several clumps of Triodia scariosa at Tresco West. This remnant
> patch appears to be well south or west of any other Triodia locations in
> Australia.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tim Dolby

  birders viewpoint, it doesn't get any better than that!

> > Tresco West Bushland Reserve (discussed in more detail below), known
> > locally as the 'Daisy Patch', has a similar range of plant species.
> > Interestingly, on this last tip I stumbled across a small patch of Spinifex
> > (Triodia scariosa). I've not seen this species previously at either Goschen
> > or Tresco West, and as far as I'm aware, this is the most south-eastern
> > patch of Triodia in Australia (with the nearest Triodia least 100 km to the
> > north ad west).
> >
> > The Birds
> > I have visited Goschen Bushland Reserve many times, and it is the usual
> > starting point for our 24-hour Twitchathon. The reason we start there is
> > simple: it is the most southerly site for seeing a range of northern
> > arid-land species such as Black and, occasionally, Pied Honeyeater, Crimson
> > Chat, Cockatiel, Budgerigar, Blue Bonnet, Pied Butcherbird, Yellow-throated
> > Miner and Chestnut-rumped Thornbill. It is most productive in late spring,
> > and summer, especially when there have been some good rains in the region.
> >
> > On my way to Goschen (when driving from Lake Boga) I usually check the
> > roadside vegetation along Ultima-Lake Boga Rd, where there is a likelihood
> > of seeing Blue Bonnet (yellow-vented race haematogaster), Cockatiel, Pied
> > Butcherbird, Rufous Songlark, Yellow-throated Miner and Spotted Harrier.
> >
> > A good spot to look for Crimson Chat, Black and Pied Honeyeater is in the
> > west side of the Reserve along the track between the tennis court and the
> > telecommunication tower. Here you may also see scattered flocks of
> > Budgerigar and the occasional Cockatiel. Despite both species being icons
> > of Australia, they are quite uncommon in Victoria, only become apparent
> > during 'good years' - when there has been just the right amount of rain,
> > and just the right amount of vegetation growth. This area can also be good
> > for seeing White-browed and Masked Woodswallow, Chestnut-rumped Thornbill,
> > Hooded Robin, and White-winged Triller. During good years Peregrine Falcon
> > feast on Woodswallow and Budgerigar, swooping upon them from the vantage
> > point of the communication tower. Little Button-quail can usually be
> > flushed from the grassy area just east of the tennis court, particularly
> > near the over-grown cricket pitch. Here also you can see Budgerigar,
> > Cockatiel, and Peaceful Dove. Immediately e
 ast, and south-east, of this grassland area, look for Variegated Fairy-wren,
Spiny-cheeked, White-fronted (usually in winter) and Yellow-plumed (uncommon)
Honeyeater, Yellow-throated Miner, Red-capped and Hooded Robin, White-browed
Babbler, Varied Sittella and Brown Treecreeper, while Australian Owlet-nightjar
are sometimes flush from tree hollows during the day, particular in the
south-east corner.

> [...]
> > Interestingly, this was not because of good environmental conditions in the
> > state, rather it was because much of Australia was in severe drought, so
> > many of the arid land species, such as Crimson Chat, and the nomadic
> > honeyeater such as Black and Pied Honeyeater, moved to coastal regions in
> > search of food and water. During 2009 15 Pied Honeyeater were seen at
> > Goschen, a rare species in Victoria. Other birds that were regularly seen
> > across southern Victoria were Rufous Songlark, White-winged Triller and
> > Zebra Finch.
> >
> > By contrast 2010, birdwise, was very quiet in Victoria. The conditions in
> > central Australia were perfect; there had been a lot of rain, so water was
> > plentiful, and there was an abundance of food sources - there was no need
> > to move east and south toward the coast. Parrots in arid Australia did
> > particularly well - such as Budgerigar and rarer species such as Princess
> > and Scarlet-chested Parrot. The inland waters were also covered in
> > thousands of breeding waterbirds; and there was virtually no waterfowl on
> > the east and south coast.
> >
> > 2011 is proving to be another fantastic year in northern Victoria. The
> > reason for this is markedly different from 2009. Rather than Australia
> > being in drought, there is an abundance of water. As the inland areas
> > drying up, birds such as Banded Stilt, that had been breeding at Lake Eyre,
> > are now heading to southerly sites such as Lake Tutchewop (and it won't be
> > long until the birds are seen at the Western Treatment Plant and Moolap
> > Salt Works). The same goes for many other species, such as such as
> > Budgerigar, Black Honeyeater, Banded Stilt and Grey Teal. Due to the rains,
> > we are also fortunate to have an increase in the numbers of localised
> > species such as Little Button-quail, Brown Quail and Buff-banded Rail.
> >
> > Tresco West Bushland Reserve - The Daisy Patch Tresco West Bushland
> > Reserve is located 3 km south-west of Lake Boga. To get there take the
> > Lalbert Rd out of town, passing the golf course. The Reserve borders the
> > Lake Boga Golf Course (a good spot for birds), and surrounds the Golf
> > Course Lake. Somewhat similar to Goschen (in terms of birds and
> > vegetation), the habitat around the edges of the golf course includes
> > several stands of Long-leaf Emu-bush, where you can look for Black and Pied
> > Honeyeater, while Little Button-quail occur in areas of long grass around
> > the golf course. Here you may also see Blue Bonnet, Cockatiel, Budgerigar,
> > Pied Butcherbird, Variegated Fairy-wren, Zebra Finch and, occasionally,
> > Crimson Chat and Red-backed Kingfisher. When the water level is just right,
> > the saline Golf Course Lake attracts shorebirds such as Red-necked Avocet,
> > Banded and Black-winged Stilt, Greenshank and Marsh Sandpiper, and flocks
> > of hawking Whiskered Tern (spring). Probably the best spot for woodland
> > birds at Tresco West is the south side of th
 e lake, particularly the south-east corner. To get there, from the Golf
Course, continue along Lalbert Rd to the reserves south-west corner. Here
several tracks head east - the southern-most track is named Winery Rd.
Birdwatch along both tracks for the next kilometre. In spring, this is a good
area for Black Honeyeater, particularly in the stands of Long-leaf Emu-Bush,
located the grassy woodlands bordering the lakes. Other birds here include Pied
Butcherbird, Crimson Chat, Rainbow Bee-eater, Singing, White-fronted and
Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, White-browed Babbler, Blue Bonnet, Cockatiel and
Budgerigar, occasionally Red-backed Kingfisher, and Zebra Finch.

> > Other Birding Locations in the Area
> > When visiting Goschen Bushland Reserve, there are a number of other
> > excellent birding locations nearby (discussed below).
> >
> > Round Lake and the Eremophila Patch
> > One kilometre west of the township of Lake Boga, on the Ultima-Lake Boga
> > Rd, I always stop for a look at Round Lake. Here you may see Whiskered Tern
> > (summer), Black-winged Stilt, Hardhead, Australasian Shoveler, Blue-billed,
> > Pink-eared and Freckled (rare) Duck, Great Crested, Hoary-headed and
> > Australasian Grebe, Great, Intermediate and Little Egret, and, when the
> > water level is low, Australian Spotted and Spotless Crake feed on the muddy
> > edges. Along the roadside here, you can see Yellow-throated Miner,
> > Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, Tree Martin, and White-breasted Woodswallow. Just
> > north of here, a kilometre along Long Lake Rd, there is a nice patch of
> > Long-leaf Emu-bush, which, when flowering (usually late spring), attract
> > birds such as Black, Singing and Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, White-winged
> > Triller and Rainbow Bee-eater.
> >
> > Lake Tutchewop
> > The saltbush surrounding the Ramsar-listed Lake Tutchewop supports a
> > healthy population of White-winged Fairy-wren and, in late spring/summer,
> > Orange Chat. The best place to see them is along a track that runs along
> > the western side of the lake (between it and a small water channel). The
> > southern entrance leaves the Murray Valley Hwy, beginning immediately north
> > of the Lake Steggals Rd intersection. The tracks northern entrance starts
> > on the Benjeroop-Tresco Rd - starting immediately after you cross a small
> > water channel 3 km west of the Murray Valley Hwy. Lake Tutchewop is a
> > hyper-saline lake, it is part of the Barr Creek Drainage Disposal Scheme,
> > which divert 550,000 tonnes of salt each year away from the Murray River.
> > Aside from White-winged Fairy-wren and Orange Chat have a look for
> > Blue-winged Parrot, Blue Bonnet, Cockatiel, Black-faced Woodswallow, Brown
> > Songlark, Fairy Martin, White-fronted Chat, and Zebra Finch, and raptors
> > such as White-bellied and Wedge-tailed S
 ea-Eagle and Marsh and Spotted Harrier. Lake Tutchewop is also major inland
site for migratory shorebirds. Some of the shorebirds I've recorded here
include Common Greenshank, Red-necked Stint, Curlew, Marsh and Sharp-tailed
Sandpiper, Double-banded (winter) and Red-capped Plover, Banded (4000+ in 2011)
and Black-winged Stint, Red-necked Avocet and Banded Lapwing. Waterbirds using
the lake include Pink-eared and Freckled (rare) Duck, Grey Teal, Australasian
Shoveler, Caspian and Whiskered Tern, and occasionally Gull-billed and
White-winged Black Tern.