birding-aus

Hoopoe at Broome

To: "'Joy Tansey'" <>, "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Hoopoe at Broome
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 13:50:56 +1100
Sure it is fun to go on an adventure like that if you can afford it and
the bird is one worth seeing. It is a nice story. I also think the
carbon offset is tokenism but it is at least something. What raised my
curiosity though is the mention "and the chance to see it in Australia".
Yes that decision possibly emits less carbon etc and possibly costs
rather less than to see one where it normally lives. (As I wrote before
I saw two of them in China and if you pick your time, airfares to China
are likely a lot less expensive than quick purchased Melbourne to
Broome, but of course there are many other greater risks and
considerations.) I wrote long ago that I would rather see a Secretary
bird on the plains of Africa than in Canberra. I may be misunderstanding
but think the implied suggestion somewhat curious that it is nicer to
see a bird where it ought not to be, than in its usual habitat and
range.

I wonder does it work the other way? If someone found a colony of
Gouldian Finches near Port Moresby PNG, would Australian birders rather
go there to see them than try their luck in northern Australia.

Philip
Kambah ACT

-----Original Message-----From:
 On Behalf Of Joy Tansey
Sent: Monday, 14 November 2011 9:57 AM  To: 'birding-aus'       Subject:
[Birding-Aus] Hoopoe at Broome

HI All,

In a moment of sanity I decided  I couldn't resist the call of the
number 1 bird on my bucket list of birds I must see before I go .....
and the chance to see it in Australia. So in a mad 23 hours from front
door to front door I made a day trip from Melbourne to Broome. I spent
more time flying than on the ground in Broome, but by 10.45am Sunday
morning I was in place and restlessly pacing up and down at Roebuck
roadhouse. By lunchtime I had the hoopoe and spent a pleasant hour
watching, filming and phoning people to brag. By 1pm I was on my way to
check a few waders and with advice from Chris Hassell ringing in my ears
was able to get equally crippling views and photos (to my standard) of
the Semi-palmated Plover. Then it was back to the airport and head home,
with an awesome day to remember.

Cheers,

Joy Tansey

60 Myers Parade