birding-aus

Hoopoe at Broome

To: "'Philip Veerman'" <>, "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Hoopoe at Broome
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 17:01:06 +1100
Siberian Thrush at Esperance (SW WA) earlier this year and now a Hoopoe at
Broome. My guess is that both are ship-assisted movements.

There's a lot of cargo ships oil/LNG tankers and iron ore vessels moving
between north-western Australia and China these days. Don't know if any of
these ships anchor at the Port of Broome, but they certainly do at Port
Hedland, which is about 450 km SW of Broome. Port Hedland ships would pass
close to Broome's coastline. Also, I think cruise ships anchor at Broome. I
think it would be easy for a Hoopoe to hitch a ride on one of these ships.

Nevertheless, an exciting discovery. I'm tipping that we will see even more
"first-timers" as shipping traffic associated with the current mineral and
oil boom increases.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde NSW