birding-aus

Mooloolaba magic

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Mooloolaba magic
From: Trevor Ford <>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 00:15:38 +1000
I was invited to spend part of last weekend at a birthday celebration in Mooloolaba, Sunshine Coast (look it up - halfway up the right-hand side of Australia). I was a bit apprehensive, having become accustomed to the quiet life on Bribie Island (south a bit). The heaving hordes of the Sunshine Coast aren't really my cup of tea but I took my telescope in case I could spot anything interesting on the beach!

Well, my 'scope wasn't necessary for the first bit of excitement. Within a few minutes I was watching four Peregrines flying close to our balcony - I don't recall ever seeing four in the air together before. It was spectacular. This was towards the northern end of the main drag at Mooloolaba's surf beach.

The following day didn't start particularly early but I could soon make out a Sooty Oystercatcher and Eastern Reef Egrets, both colour phases, on the distant headland (have we managed to extirpate Wandering Tattlers from the SEQ coastline?) But the Humpback Whales provided the fun. After two were seen passing by at fairly close range, another two took about 20 minutes to pass across in front of our balcony, travelling south. They were breaching, sometimes together, blowing, flipper waving and splashing, showing their flukes and diving. Wow! Is this off-topic? Some things you just have to share.

Cheers - Trevor.