birding-aus

Spectacled Monarch Wonboyn Lake, NSW.

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Spectacled Monarch Wonboyn Lake, NSW.
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:55:54 +1100
Hi all,

Marlene Lyall and I have just had a very pleasant few days of birding
around the Wonboyn Lake area on the far south NSW coast. We went down
mainly for the Eden pelagic trip but sadly that was cancelled because 3
people backed out at the last minute and replacements could not be found.
We have been told that all future “5th Sunday” Eden birding trips have now
been abandoned.

Anyway, we still had a good time with a few very special birds turning up.
The first surprise for the trip was a Spectacled Monarch at the Watergums
Creek crossing on the road in. Following this, in the trees around the
house, there was a Noisy Friarbird, a Channel-billed Cuckoo and a few
Black-faced Monarch. To round off the trip, we were dropping our rubbish in
at the tip as we were leaving and found a Cicada Bird.

The Pilotbirds were calling well and the Eastern Whipbirds were seen and
heard everywhere with one bird feeding spiders to its young. Satin
Bowerbirds were seen at many of the places we stopped and one Spotted
Quail-thrush dashed across the track, never to be seen again.

Most of the regular birds were around but despite many of the trees being
in flower there were not a lot of honeyeaters, except for Yellow-faced,
which were very common.

I was going to add more to this report but I am suffering from a serious
case of Pelagidiphobia and need to go and make a cup of tea and take a Bex.

Cheers

Jenny