birding-aus

Port Stephens Pelagic 22nd October 2011

To: "birding-aus ." <>
Subject: Port Stephens Pelagic 22nd October 2011
From: Steve Roderick <>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 21:11:49 +1100
Port Stephens Pelagic Trip Report - Saturday 22nd October

Boat: M.V. Argonaut, skippered by Ray Horsefield

OBSERVERS
Alwyn Simple, Michael Kearns, Jim Smart, Mike Newman, David Bertram, Geoff
Smith, Steve Wood, Karen Thumm, Andrew Thumm, Bruce Hosken, Steve Roderick
(leader and organiser)

CONDITIONS
After 5 straight cancelled trips due to dangerous conditions we were greeted
with dead calm seas and winds. Conditions were calm most of the day with a .5m
to 1m swell and a light NE wind. Afternoon saw the NE wind increase to around
10-15knots. Great conditions for comfort but maybe not so birdwise.

HIGHLIGHTS
There were no 'specials' seen on the trip. Good numbers of Shearwater sp. were
constant. Reasonable numbers of Wilsons Storm-petrels kept our eyes trained for
Black-bellieds. A few Wanderers and a Shy Albatross.

SUMMARY
Departed Nelson Bay wharf at 7am and returned at 430pm

A misty morning and we passed through the heads without seeing land. An iintial
flurry of  Wedge-tailed Shearwaters kept people busy, with a few 1st timers on
board. Small numbers of Short-tailed Shearwaters made short apperances as they
directed their flight south.
An uneventful next 10km's or so until more Wedgeys appeared, chumming commenced
to try a get some followers to drag in the unknown.
Wedge-tailed Shearwaters picked up the scent and we soon had around 40-50 birds
following the boat. Silver Gulls appeared and we soon had 12 behind the boat
which stayed with us most of the day. A lone White-fronted Tern and 3
Australasian Gannets flew by.
The first Flesh-footed Shearwater showed and just short of the shelf we had a
young Black-browed Albatross and a Wilsons Storm-petrel show interest.
Upon reaching the shelf the oily rag went out and we immeadiately had about 6
Wilsons Storm-petrels in the slick.
After half an hour at the shelf we had a Great-winged Petrel arrive and soon
after a Providence Petrel. These two birds came and went and were deemed the
only of their species seen all day.
A sinlge Cape Petrel flew in and immeadiately begun feeding. The first of 3
Wanderers turned up as did our only White-faced Storm-petrel. One Wanderer was
extremely hungry and was reaching up to the ladel to grab the chicken mince!
A second young Black-browed Alby turned up and we soon had a Shy Alby sitting
at the rear of the boat.
Just before leaving the shelf a Huttons Shearwater did its customary fly by.
The Wilsons had grown to about 40 birds in the slick but no Black-bellieds were
seen.

The trip back to port was fairly uneventful.
Shearwaters followed us right to the heads as did the two Black-browed Albys.
No more species were added to the list.

Short-beaked Common Dolphins were with us most of the time at the shelf hanging
around under the boat for sometime.

Steve Roderick.

BIRDS

Species: Total (maximum number around the boat at one time)

White-faced Storm-petrel: 1 (1)

Wilsons Storm-petrel: 42 (40)

Black-browed Albatross: 2 (2)

Shy Albatross: 1 (1) (cauta)