birding-aus

Koels finally arrive in Turramurra

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Koels finally arrive in Turramurra
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 12:34:02 +1100
Hi all
after recently reporting (17 Sept) that the Channel Billed Cuckoos had been seen from my house in Turramurra at close to the earliest record date in 14 summers here, and much sooner than usual after the 1st sighting in Sydney, this year my local Koels have done completely the opposite. The first bird was heard calling on Friday 14 October and I saw two yesterday (15 Oct), which is my 2nd latest ever 1st record for the summer, nearly 2 months after the 1st sighting on Eremaea (16 August) and a month after they started showing up in reasonable numbers around the suburbs. In 14 years here, the number of local Red Wattlebirds seems to have decreased a bit, so I wonder if the birds that settle here for the summer, as late arrivals, are forced into a less "target rich" environment? (unless of course Turramurra has a micro-climate that means the wattlebirds start to breed a month later...)
Cheers
Tom Wilson