birding-aus

Any tips for Kamarooka and Greater Bendigo NP

To: "'Patrick Scully'" <>, <>
Subject: Any tips for Kamarooka and Greater Bendigo NP
From: "Bob Cook" <>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 16:31:57 +1100
Hi Patrick

Check out the Parks Victoria website for Great Bendigo NP and download the
map for the Kamarooka section.  On that map you will see Campbell Rd that
runs between Bendigo-Tennyson Rd and Millwood Rd.  About halfway along that
road, or maybe closer to Millwood Rd, there is a "clearing" on the North of
the road and a more open "clayish" area on the South.  On the South side
there were recently (early Sept) a couple of small pools of water that were
attracting many honeyeater species, including Tawny-crowned.  These were
also in the trees around the more open area to the North.

We located Shy Heathwren at the edge of the road about 200 metres East of
that same spot.  Yes, they are hard to locate and are aptly named!  They
lurk very low in the dense dry vegetation.  Going back to the same spot
about 1 hour later, we brought one bird back out with a brief playing of its
call.

Note that Millwood Rd is likely to have some pretty large "puddles", so be
careful if you are in 2WD.

Bob Cook