birding-aus

Croker Island birds

Subject: Croker Island birds
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 00:28:47 +1300
We are living on Croker Island at the moment. The famous
floodplain between the airstrip and community is largely dry
and has plenty of Little Curlews and Australian Pratincoles.
Near some remnant wet areas, were two Buff-banded Rail, 9
Marsh Sandpipers neither of which along with Little Curlew,
have been recorded on Croker Is before. Other new birds for
Croker Island I have seen are Australasian Grebe and
Swinhoe's Snipe at the sewage ponds and Royal Spoonbills, a
Wedge-tailed Eagle and Pacific Baza. Koels are calling and
there are a few Dollarbirds.

Don Hadden