birding-aus

Pointless endeavours

Subject: Pointless endeavours
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 11:31:00 +1000
On 26/09/2011 12:37 PM, Tony Keene wrote:
So far, the ones that seem to escape me are the Double-barred Finch, Banded
Lapwing, Rock Warbler and Eastern Barn Owl. There's probably a whole host of
others that I've missed enough to forget what they were. Depressingly, my wife
has two of those and even my two kids have seen Rock Warbler...
  There are far more European birds I really should have seen while I was
there, but I might get the chance next year.
  As to limits of bogies, I think of it as being more of a continuous spectrum
from mega-bogies to a mere snotty sniffle.
  Cheers,

  Tony

My wife is the expert of the family - better eyes?; certainly more hard work on identification

But she still hasn't forgiven me for seeing the Rock Wren in NZ 20 years ago. My "best" sighting was a Black Falcon at Bundoora many years ago - identified from whatever was the best book in the house at the time when I got home, and confirmed very soon after by Reg Johnson who made a special trip to see it (so did Anthea).

Brian Fleming
Ivanhoe, Melbourne