birding-aus

Zeiss bin repairs

To: <>
Subject: Zeiss bin repairs
From: "Michael Hunter" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:50:23 +1000
Hi All.

         Is there anyone in Australia who can repair Zeiss binoculars?

         I sent my expensive top of the line 10x42s back to Germany to repair a
faulty eyepiece mechanism a year ago.

         $1200.00 later they sent them back as good as new, having also
replaced a slightly scratched lens and cleaned them up a bit.

          Last month on a Bird of Paradise trip to West Papua, BOTH eyepiece
mechanisms failed (one fell right out, the other seized and wouldn't move)
before the first Bop .

          I had a spare pair of cheap 8x42 backups and soon realised that
expensive optics really do make a difference at the limits of light and
distance. With the el cheapos colours and markings were just not discernable at
a distance or in the gloom, whereas the Swarovski users were picking them up
with apparent ease.

        Zeiss want me to send the bins back to see if they are covered by
warranty. Insured post to them (and back) is over $50 each way with no
guarantees that they will be fixed under warranty, or not fail again in the
field.

        Before I bin these bins with beautiful optics but mechanically useless
and not worth good money after bad, is there someone in Oz who might be able to
fix them?

        Otherwise Swarovski here I come.

                                    Cheers

                                            Michael