birding-aus

Gull-billed Terns in Caloundra, SEQ

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Gull-billed Terns in Caloundra, SEQ
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 14:11:10 +1000
Trevor Ford has pointed out that my posting below was ambiguous.

All the gullbills and cresteds arrived from the immediate south, because the wind was northerly. However, they hadn't spent the day together. The gullbills spend their days within the passage, whilst the cresteds mainly go out to sea. So the gullbills flew north along the passage to the roost, whilst the cresteds flew in from the sea, crossed over Bribie Island and then turned north so they could land into the wind at the roost.

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

26° 51' 41"S  152° 56' 00"E