birding-aus

A boom year for Clarence Valley, north coast NSW Storks

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: A boom year for Clarence Valley, north coast NSW Storks
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:25:19 +1000
We are presently in the middle of a bumper Black-necked (Satin) Stork breeding
season.  On a trip within the Clarence Valley between Grafton and Tullymorgan
on September 15 we observed a total of 30 Storks.  This comprised 12 adults, 2
immatures-sub-adults, 9 juveniles and 7 nestlings. Juveniles are birds that
were hatched in 2011 and have recently fledged (left the nest) or were hatched
in 2010, immatures are birds hatched in 2009 and are now assuming their adult
plumage and soft part colours. Adults are greater than 2 years of age.  Eight
adults known to occur locally weren't seen on that day and when you add the
juveniles and immatures seen recently the number would exceed 40 birds just in
the Clarence Valley.  The total state population was estimated in the 1960s to
be between 39 and 43 birds.

Yesterday I visited a nest at Tullymorgan to band the 'three' nestlings that
were there.  When I reached the level of the nest (23 m above the ground) in
the elevated platform (cherry picker) I was shocked to see four nestlings.  I
only had bands for 3 as there has never been more than 3 nestlings reported in
New South Wales.  I am hoping to return to the nest to band the fourth bird but
the paddock is still a little wet causing some difficulty to the cherry picker
(read it got bogged!!).

Prior to yesterday's banding I had only colour-banded 15 Storks and have had 11
of these recovered, mostly by people noting the band colours.  A Stork banded
as a nestling at Gilletts Ridge near Ulmarra in 2007 is now the adult male at a
new nest only a few kilometres from where he was hatched and banded.  He is now
a father to one small nestling. A female bird that I banded at Bulahdelah in
2009 turned up at a wetland at Coutts Crossing, where I live.
A banded adult male Stork, banded as a nestling at Gilletts Ridge in 2008, was
photographed at Micalo Island, near Yamba in August.

Could anyone observing a Stork please check its legs for colour bands.  The
bands are placed, one on each leg, above the leg joint.  Please note on which
leg each colour is on as there are birds with the same colour combinations but
in the reverse order.

Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Wildlife Guide
Coutts Crossing