birding-aus

Fwd: RFI Darwin and recent sightings Top End

To: Birding-Aus Aus <>
Subject: Fwd: RFI Darwin and recent sightings Top End
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 15:11:28 +1000
Dear B-A,

Could someone help Marc out please

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 19 September 2011 2:49:10 PM
Subject: RFI Darwin and recent sightings Top End

Dear Carl and Tom,

I just see in the Birding Aus archives that both of you sent an e-mail on the birding list a short while ago, so I thought that may be... you could help me in forwarding my message herebelow to the Birding Aus list ? (I am not suscriber)

Many thanks for your help, Marc

Dear all,

I will be in Darwin on 20 (that is tomorrow !) and 21st september, thus ending a 2-weeks trip in the Top End and would much appreciate if anyone on the list could help me with the following : - Rufous Owl : was it seen recently at the Botanical Garden ? If yes, where exactly ? If not, is there any alternative site around Darwin where I could look for it ?

- Little Curlew : have some flocks arrived and if yes, where ?

Thanks in advance for any help !

I take the opportunity of this message to inform about some of my recent sightings :

- there was a flock of ca. 20 Gouldian Finches on 17th september (late afternoon), just 300-500 m east of Chainman Creek crossing (Victoria Highway), where there is a road crest and a nearby sign 'truck entering'. The flock comprised at least 4 perfectly plumaged males (2 red-faced and 2 black-faced). 4 Hooded parrots were also there. They were not seen again today morning when I briefly stopped at the site.

- Northern Shrike-Tit : I had 2 on 18th september along Gorrie Road ca. 7 km from the Stuart highway intersection, and more precisely : on the left of the road, 200 m past the highest crest on this road section. I also had 2 on 15th september at km 8,6 along the central arnhem road.

- A female Red Goshawk was on its nest yesterday at its traditional site in Mataranka and its behaviour suggests it is incubating.

- Spinifex Pigeon : had 2 along Policeman Point access track at Timber creek. Also saw 1 or 2 Spotted Nightjar there.

- I failed to see Rufous Owl in the Mataranka area, although night birding yesterday along the first 2 kilometers of the John Hauser Drive gave some consolation, with Tawny Frogmouth, Owlet-Nightjar and Southern Boobook all seen.

Marc Thibault (based in Arles, France)