birding-aus

Tripods

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: Tripods
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 12:31:34 +1000
> That head can't turn the camera sideways, which might be important to you. If
> there's no possibility of using it with a scope then I'll leave it to the
> photographers to advise you which head to get. It might be handy to at least
> have one that uses the same sort of quick release mounting plate though, so
> you can share tripods with other birders if necessary. (That said, I don't
> think I've ever done that.)

The reason good tripods have a quick release plate is so you can take the
camera on and off the tripod quickly - essential in my opinion.
The video head not being able to shoot vertically is a very important point as
Peter mentioned. If you ever intend to use it for other than a scope then i
would suggest a different head for sure.

Cheers
Dave