birding-aus

desert birding in summer

To: "" <>, "" <>, "" <>
Subject: desert birding in summer
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:14:50 +1000
I'll be interested to hear how many people have been birding there at that time
of year. I was there in late November 1995, sightseeing, not birding. Not sure
if the conditions in early summer are similar to late summer.

We did what Mark describes, walking in the mornings and evenings, travelling
during the day. We found we had to get out of the sun by about 10am, as it was
already in the 40s by then.

Most days were in the low 40s, nights were around 25 minimum. Humidity was
around 13%, which helped, but meant drinking huge amounts of water. I found it
hard to get used to that, and if you're there for less than a week I think
you'd have to be very careful not to forget to do it. If you're not peeing
regularly, drink more water till you do.

Car air conditioning is essential, and a white car is preferable. Our hire car
was dark grey, we had to take it back and swap it because the esky was melting
the ice faster than we could replace it.

Didn't notice the birds much back then, but there were what I assume were
Spinifex Pigeons running around wherever we went.

Peter Shute

Sent using BlackBerry