birding-aus

Birdline South Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline South Australia Weekly Update
Date: 5 Sep 2011 01:30:40 +1000

Birdline South Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 4 Sep 2011.

Sun 4 Sep Banded Stilt, Musk Duck, Australian Shelduck, Black-tailed Native-hen Freeling Sewage Ponds
Single Banded Stilt feeding on the larger of the ponds. Saw another single Banded Stilt on the same pond 18 months ago, wondering if it's the same one that's come back? Very unusual sighting for this area. Also a single Musk Duck which is a first for these ponds as well and the resident pair of Shelducks were hanging around as per usual.
Chris Steeles

Thu 1 Sep Striated Pardalotes Rose Street Mile End
I have noticed firstly 1, then a pair of Striated Pardalotes over the past week. They have nested in a hole in the wall of the next door house. I have been watching them come and go all day. A friend has confirmed my observations. As I am 3km from Adelaide city centre, I am quite amazed.
Heather Pike

Black-chinned Honeyeater Private Residence, Gawler East
Black-chinned Honeyeater (1) single bird heard again late on Tuesday afternoon and again yesterday (Wedensday afternoon) calling for a few minutes in large River Redgum next door. Have heard the call coming from trees in distant neighbouring yards over the last two weeks.
David Hartland

Wed 31 Aug Painted Button-Quail, Crested Shrike-tit, Diamond Firetail, Horsfields Bronze-Cuckoo Altona Landcare Reserve
Great morning at Altona today, highlighted by finding and getting excellent close views of 2 Painted Button-Quail on the edge of the road right near the carpark, unfortunately by the time I got the camera on them they had moved off into the long grass! This is the only record I can find of Painted Button-Quail being found in this reserve! Also found were 8 Diamond Firetails 6 of which were also feeding on the ground in the carparking area, 2 Crested Shrike-tits in the middle of the reserve and 3 Horsfields Bronze-Cuckoos calling from different areas of the park!
Chris Steeles

Tue 30 Aug Buff-banded Rail Garden bed of a Medical Clinic on Woodville Road, Woodville North.
Watched single bird dig in garden mulch for approx. 15 mins. Bird was unperturbed by my presence.
David Fuss

Sat 27 Aug Black Falcon, Flock Bronzewing, Gibberbird, Yellow Chat, Banded Whiteface, Grey & Eyrean Grasswren Birdsville track - northern section
1 Black Falcon approx. 100 Flock Bronzewings 4 Gibberbirds 6 Yellow Chats 10 Banded Whitefaces 6 Grey Grasswrens 2 Eyrean Grasswrens
Peter Waanders

Fri 26 Aug Malleefowl, Brown Quail Murray Bridge east (35 07S 139 21E) 1' Cell
Malleefowl (2) In mature revegetation near Army headquarters Brown Quail (1) flushed twice
Nat Doecke

Thu 25 Aug White-winged Triller Gluepot
First one for the season at Gluepot
Peter Waanders

Birdline South Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.