birding-aus

Painted Honeyeater in Vic??

To: "'John Tongue'" <>, <>
Subject: Painted Honeyeater in Vic??
From: "Paul G Dodd" <>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 18:01:00 +1000
Hi John,

The most reliable spot in Victoria for this species is the Dunach Nature
Conservation Reserve north of Clunes on the Ballarat-Maryborough Road. From
Ballarat head north to Clunes and then from there along the C287
Ballarat-Maryborough Road towards Dunach. The Dunach Nature Conservation
Reserve is approximately 8km north from Clunes on this road. Look for an
intersection with an information sign and head into the reserve there. About
200m from this intersection is the weirdest sign I've ever seen in a reserve
that warns you not to dump offal! Keep following the track for another 200m
or so, and you will reach an area with tall gum trees and lots of mistletoe.
Keep a look out (and an ear out) in this general location for the Painted
Honeyeaters.

Please note, though, that it is very early in the season so the birds are
unlikely to be around in numbers.

Good luck!

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria