birding-aus

[OB] Eastern Cattle Egret

To: "'Bharat Jethva'" <>, <>, "'John Penhallurick'" <>
Subject: [OB] Eastern Cattle Egret
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:31:18 +1000
G'day Bharat,

Whether or not they are species or subspecies is in itself a separate
discussion to whether there are two discrete identifiable populations or a
single mixed up one which was the starting point established by John. Whether
ssp or species they remain discrete and have done so long enough to present
with plumage differences which don't appear to cline so they can't be freely
intermixing between Africa and Asia. Establishing in America and Australia is
clear evidence the two populations are capable of traversing such distances but
the two plumage types are sustained so they aren't freely mixing across the
Middle East for what ever reason.

Cheers Jeff.