birding-aus

Possible Powerful Owl - East Maitland

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Possible Powerful Owl - East Maitland
From: Jim Smart <>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 08:41:26 +1000
Hello Hunter birders,

In my back yard in East Maitland I have a large Yellow Box tree which is now in
full blossom.
At night Fruit Bats, presumably Grey-headed Flying Foxes feed on the blossom.

On Saturday morning there was a lot of white bird droppings on the paving under
the tree
plus a skull, mandible and probably, a humerus bone. Their anatomy closely
matched that shown
on various web sites for Fruit Bat.

Powerful Owls certainly eat Fruit Bats. Can I assume a Powerful Owl is living
in the East Maitland
area or are there other Fruit Bat predators that could explain this find?

Cheers,

Jim Smart
East Maitland