birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 29 Aug 2011 01:30:49 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 28 Aug 2011.

Sun 28 Aug Little Corella "Forest Park", Orbost
A large flock of some 70-80 Little Corellas was seen circling over Forest Park prior to roosting in the Southern Mahogany gums on the banks of the Snowy River. Increasing numbers of this species have been noted around the Gippsland Lakes and Bairnsdale recently as well as isolated reports from Cann River and Mallacoota.
Len Axen

White-necked Heron, Great Egret, Nankeen Kestrel, Swift Parrot, Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo Royal Park, Parkville
White-necked Heron, Great Egret, Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo, Australian Reed-Warbler and Little Grassbird all at Trin Warren Tamboore wetlands along with Hardhead, Grey Teal and Australasian Grebe. Nankeen Kestrel hovering over the Circle. Plus a few Swift Parrot at Royal Park Train station still.
Will Morris

Sat 27 Aug Brolga, Flame Robin, Cattle Egret, Double-banded Plover, Blue-winged Parrot Black-tailed Native-hen Western Treatment Plant
A pair of Brolga at Austin Road, 3 Flame Robin and 2 Double-banded Plover, 20+ Cattle Egret, 3 Blue-winged Parrot, 1 Black-tailed Native-hen and very large numbers of Eastern Great Egret, White-necked Heron, White-faced Heron (previously reported by Maarten) among 101 species for the day.
John Barkla, Fred Smith and Alison Street

Sacred Kingfisher Werribee River Park
Single bird seen along river at the new Werribee River reserve at the eastern end of the treatment plant. Seems a little early from my records.
Paul Randall (wingsonwire.com)

Swift Parrot, Brown Quail, Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo Royal Park, Parkville
Still a few Swifties in the normal trees. Confirming Nicole Spillane's record of Brown Quail (a first for Royal Park as far as I know) - only one seen or heard. One cuckoo calling.
Chris Lester

Fri 26 Aug Purple-gaped Honeyeater, White-fronted Honeyeater, Tawny-crowned Honeyeater, Shy Heathwren Greater Bendigo National Park (Kamarooka Section)
There were two Purple-gaped Honeyeater, a few White-fronted Honeyeater, and lots of Tawny-crowned Honeyeater in Kamarooka on Burnside Road today, most honeyeaters were seen where the road takes two big dips. While waiting for the Purple-gaped to turn up two Shy Heathwrens crossed the road.
Nicole Spillane & Paul Jacobson

Intermediate, Great and Little Egrets and White-necked Herons. Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
I recorded unusually large numbers of herons and egrets at the WTP, perhaps indicating good breeding up north. I counted 21 White-necked Herons (mainly in the Austin Rd T Section lagoon area), 46 White-faced Herons, 17 little Egrets (most were in the Western lagoons and Spit), one Intermediate Egret at Lake Borrie South, (this is only my second record for the WTP) and a total of 26 Great Egrets. These numbers of herons and egrets have not been seen at the WTP for quite some time. Also sighted were 12 Banded Lapwings at the end of Austin Rd, in the paddock where the road turns to the left.
Maarten Hulzebosch

Masked Lapwing, Barn Owl Geelong Ring Rd/Midland Hwy Overpass 1' Cell
Masked Lapwing 2 pairs have successfully fledged chicks (1 and 2 respectively) on the Kardinia campus Barn Owl first record of this species in the area - observed at 8:30am flying through the Kardinia school campus being marauded by Grey Currawongs
Paul Rose

Australian Little Bittern, Caspian Tern Karkarook Park
Australian Little Bittern (1) Juvenile. Repeated views including briefly in flight. Caspian Tern (2) Main lake - both the first time I have recorded at this site
Tim Bawden

Grey-Shrike Thrush Lerderderg River, Bacchus Marsh
Whilst walking along the Lerderderg River near the Golf Course a Grey-Shrike Thrush was seen and heard. Red-Browed Finches,Striated Pardalotes, Superb-Fairy Wrens, Grey Fantails also observed.
David Whelan

Speckled Warblers You Yangs Regional Park
Speckled Warbler (4) two separate pairs, about 1 Km apart; in the second one bird being fed by the other (presumably immature)
Angus Hartshorn

Thu 25 Aug King Parrot Sawmill Settlement (near Merrijig)
One King Parrot with yellow feathers seen among a large group of King Parrots.
Anne Palamountain

Malleefowl Rainbow-Walpeup Rd (north of Patchewollock)
Traveling on the Rainbow-Walpeup Rd I passed a warning sign to be aware of wildlife on the road. Low and behold the animal depicted (a Mallefowl) is seen a couple of metres later!
Samantha Greiner

Spotted Harrier Hopetoun Rainbow Rd sharp Crn near Rainbow Yarpeet Rd
Spotted Harrier (1) Seen from car hanging low, in typical harrier way, over small trees and agriculture land
Samantha Greiner

Brown Quail Lake Hindmarsh Outlet Creek camping area
Brown Quail (4) medium sized brown quail, moving quietly amongst the grass tussucks one individuel seen first then a group of three beside the outlet creek channel
Samantha Greiner

Brolga, Plumed Whistling-Duck Yarrawonga
Three Brolga, a pair and immature were observed in a wet paddock, on the western edge of Yarrawonga near Reilys Road. There are also Plumed Whistling-Ducks at the Yarrawonga Sewage Ponds still, over 70 were recorded this afternoon.
Michael Ramsey

Wed 24 Aug Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater Seaford Wetlands
One Spiny-cheeked honeyeater near Wilson Grove, first I've seen at this site.
Anthea Stubbs

Black-shouldered Kite Brunswick East
Single bird flying East over Brunswick East Primary School at 7.30am
Will Morris

Banded Lapwing Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Two Banded Lapwing seen on Beach Road near the small dam just beyond the WTP boundary. They flew off as we watched them, heading south. It's been about 12 months since we last saw them here.
Gina Hopkins, Jenny Flood

Red-kneed Dotterel Point Cook Coastal Park
Two birds seen near the bird hide with some Black-winged Stilts.
Paul Randall (wingsonwire.com)

Pallid Cuckoo Coldstream
A bird heard calling today on a vineyard at Coldstream. First I've seen/heard this season.
Steven Creber

Hoary-headed grebe Lake Victoria, Point Lonsdale
A flock in excess of 200 hoary-headed grebes has appeared on Lake Victoria. They are generally gathered in 3 large rafts but many more birds are widely distributed all over the Lake area.
Rod Corinaldi

Southern Whiteface You Yangs Regional Park
Southern Whiteface (2) near Stockyards carpark (but I didn't see the Spotted Quail-thrush reported recently)
Angus Hartshorn

Yellow-billed Spoonbills Lake Connewarre (end of Brinsmead Lane)
Goup of six feeding near shore
Michael Bird

Banded Lapwing Hollands Landing Road, Hollands Landing - East Gippsland
Group of 16 Banded Lapwings observed in paddock, on northern side of Hollands Landing rd feeding, resting and nesting.
Faye Bedford

Tue 23 Aug Great Egret 92 Elizabeth Avenue, Rosebud West
Group sighted and picture obtained on private land part of Tootgarook swamplands. 3rd time in 6 months group has been sighted. First time have been able to get a photo. Very camera shy.
Jess Durrant

Swift parrot Wonthaggi
8 Swift Parrots seen this morning in red flowering gum in Safeway carpark Wonthaggi
Nola Thorpe & Terri Allen

Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo. Leakes Road, 800 metres north of Beattys Road, Rockbank 3335.
At 1418 hours, I observed nine (9) YTBC feeding on pine cones in trees on the west side of Leakes Road. I was able to observe at close quarters for 10 minutes, there were three males, four females and two immature birds. One immature bird was constantly begging a female for food. Open rural country with planted shelter belt trees.
Peter Gibbons

Little Eagle Gilpin Park, Brunswick
A light morph Little Eagle flying over Gilpin Park today was quickly seen off by a couple of Little Raven.
Nicole Spillane

Swift Parrot Sheok Crt Ocean Grove
As of yesterday there were approx 30 Swifties in the area up until around 3pm. At this time a large number took flight and headed in a southerly direction. Today not one seen or heard! I suspect they have taken advantage of the favorable conditions and are Tassie bound? I consider myself a very lucky man to have had these beautiful birds virtually in my back yard for the past months.
Denis Sleep

Swift Parrot Mayer Park, Thornbury
Three flying directly (purposefully?) northeast at about 7:30 am and about 30 metres off the ground.
Paul Peake

Mon 22 Aug Swift Parrot Wellsford State Forest (Bendigo)
Swift Parrots still present along Harper road in the Wellsford State Forest. They are in the same location as reported a week ago.
David Kleinert

Painted Button-quail Royal Botanic Gardens
A single male Painted Button-quail was seen today in the gardens foraging in the Australian forest area near the works entry off Birdwood Avenue.
Andrew McCutcheon

Wood Sandpiper, Brown Songlark Western Treatment Plant
Highlight was an early Wood Sandpiper in partial breeding plumage on a small pond on the northern side of the Western Conservation Pond with a pair of Black-fronted Dotterals. Brown Songlark male singing just west of Paradise Rd lagoon. A bunch of waders at the Western Lagoons, hundreds of waders, mostly Red-necked Stints & Curlew Sandpipers, & a few Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, some in breeding plumage, also a bunch of Double-banded Plovers, 8 Greenshanks feeding on the Spit, Tame Hobby still present on Souh Rd. Found it eating a Willie Wagtail on a fence post. Watched a Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo eat not less than 5 caterpillars & got awsome photos of it. Plenty of other good birds, too much to mention.
Kevin Bartram

Swift Parrots Muckleford
5 swifties this morning, still hanging around,swifties have been here since 29th March. Not a bad year.
Debbie Worland

Banded Lapwing Truganina
One Banded Lapwing on roadside verge beside Dougherty Road, about 1 km west of Truganina intesection (south side of road) approx 2.30 pm Only one seen, heavy traffic prevented stopping to investigate
Daryl Akers

White-throated Treecreeper Banyule Flats, Heidelberg
At about 3.40 pm - a single bird going up the upper trunk of a dead wattle-tree in typical Treecreeper style. I got binoculars onto it as it came into sunlight at the treetop where it investigated some loose bark. It was a female or immature - I saw the rufous tag on the cheek but never saw the rump, as it immediately took flight and flew into denser bush further along the river-bank. This was on the muddy riverside track near the track-junction on the Yarra bank, east of the Somerset Drive car-park. I have been visiting Banyule Flats Reserve since 1975 and this is the first Treecreeper I have ever seen there.
Anthea Fleming

Swamp Harrier Between Pt Lonsdale & Swan Bay
Swamp Harrier (1) Adult, female; verge of Queenscliff - Portarlington Rd; sighted twice in past fortnight in this location feeding off road kill, good close view of it on the ground and in flight.
Lauren Leviston

Brown Quail, Swift Parrot Royal Park West, Parkville
Brown Quail heard calling within the Skink Habitat in Royal Park West, first time I have heard them in this area. Four Swift Parrot also in Royal Park West feeding in Eucalypts near the footbrige on the bike path. Also another flock on the golf course.
Nicole Spillane

Sun 21 Aug Turquoise Parrot, Scarlet Honeyeater, Speckled Warbler Bartley's Block Chiltern
Seen at Bartley's Block early Sunday Morning Pair of Turquoise Parrots, Speckled Warbler, Scarlet Honeyeater and Red-bellied Black Snake.
Matt Weeks, Peter Merrit, Geoff Jones

Speckled Warbler, Diamond Firetail, Rufous Whistler Private woodlands south of Melton
Highlights of the quarterly BOCA survey of 3 private woodlands included 2 Speckled Warblers at one property, Diamond Firetails (including evidence of nesting) at 2 properties and 2 immature Rufous Whistlers. Good numbers of Jacky Winters, Flame Robins and Brown Treecreepers as well
Dave Torr et al

Blue-faced Honeyeater, Swift Parrot, Collared Sparrowhawk Royal Park, Parkville
All near the railway station at the Zoo. There are still about 10 Swift Parrots in the taller trees. Singles of the other two.
Chris Lester

Bush Stone-curlew Clays Road/East Kamarooka Road, Bagshot North (SE of Kamarooka)
Subsequent to yesterdays sighting we revisited the site this morning and found a pair of BSCs, one of them must have been bunkered down yesterday evening.
Dan Weller, Amanda Smith, Warren Tomlinson, Alandra Tasire and Cristina Del Borello

White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike, Purple-gaped Honeyeaters, White-fronted Honeyeaters Kamarooka Section, Greater Bendigo National Park
Single WBCS found in north of the Kamarooka block, along Camp Road/Track, seen and heard well. Six or so Purple-gaped Honeyeaters located along Millwood Road, in one of the gullys with lots of flowering Yellow Gum. Numerous White-fronted Honeyeater in various parts of the Park, especially along Campbell Road and Burnside Road.
Dan Weller, Amanda Smith, Warren Tomlinson, Alandra Tasire and Cristina Del Borello

Southern Boobook Brisbane Ranges
One bird seen roosting in hollow....wish I had my bigger lens on me :( Was just off the Wattle Track about 100 metres from the start.
Paul Randall (wingsonwire.com)

Grey Teal, Pink-eared Duck, Double-banded Plover, Great Crested Grebe Lake Corangamite (NW shore at Foxhow)
200+ Grey Teal, 50+ Pink-eared Ducks, Double-banded Plover ( some with full breeding plumage), pair of Great Crested Grebes, Red-caped Plovers and 200+ Red - necked Stints. No Banded Stilts
Michael Bird, Gwen Bird

Sat 20 Aug Barking Owl Tooborac VIC
A pair of Barking Owls was heard calling around 10pm. Two individuals were barking and then the screaming call followed. The site is located on a privately owned forested ridge between the Northern Hwy and Youngs Lane in Tooborac. Our property is adjacent to this ridge on Youngs lane approximately 6.5km north from the turn-off onto Majors Line from the northern hwy. .
Lisa Godinho

Southern Boobook Chiltern- Mt Pilot NP (Bartleys Block)
Southern Boobook (1) Seen on the ground then it flew into a tree. Thought it was a raptor at first, but got some good photos.
Bill Stent

Regent Honeyeater Greenhill Dam, Chiltern-Mt Pilot NP
Regent Honeyeater (2) High in the trees, several good photographs. One had a pink ring, signifying a local release.
Bill Stent

Speckled Warbler, Painted Button-quail Chiltern
Two pairs(?) of Speckled Warblers seen at Bartley's Block on Saturday afternoon, and two Painted Button-quail on the hill behind Cyanide Dam on Sunday. Lots of other stuff, six ticks for me. See Michael Ramsey's report below for more details.
Peter Shute, Bill Stent

Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater Travancore Park (Flemington)
1 bird calling in the park.
Chris Lester

Nankeen Night-Heron, Swamp Harrier, Zebra Finch Serendip Sanctuary, Lara
Nankeen Night-Heron (13) Saw 11 flying overhead towards Marshland around 8:30am! Subsequently saw two juveniles. We have never seen this many of this species here before. Swamp Harrier (1) The first Swamp Harrier we have seen at Serendip in two years! Zebra Finch (20) North Arm - flew in around 3:30pm. Our first record of this species at Serendip. Thanks to Paul Hackett for the tip-off that these birds were present at Serendip.
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

Tue 16 Aug Yellow Tufted Honeyeater Next to Buxton Silver Gums reserve
One bird hit window of house and was killed, and then owner told us there had been 6 birds flying around, and may be the remnants of a colony from the reserve prior to the reserve being burnt in the 2009 fires. We have not seen them in the reserve since the fires despite many looks. The Yarra Ranges group regularly visit this reserve specifically to look for this honeyeater. This property adjoins the reserve.
Beth Page per Bob Tate

Sun 14 Aug Curlew Sandpiper Brunswick
A single bird flying overhead around 10.30pm. As far as I am aware the call of the Curlew Sandpiper is quite distinct and unlikely to be confused with other species unless in a mixed flock. I have heard migratory waders flying over suburban areas previously -always at night and usually distant twinklings that I would not be confident identifying. On this occasion I was sitting outside on a particularly calm and clear night when when I heard a high pitched 'chirring' directly above, that I recognised as a calidrid-like call. The bird called twice more 'chirring.... chirring ' and was gone. I immediately referred to the calls of all possible species from field recordings and determined Curlew Sandpiper the most likely candidate. The call matched perfectly and no other species I investigated -Red-necked Stint, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, etc were remotely similar when heard clearly.
Scott Baker

Mon 1 Aug Buff Banded Rail Swipers Gully Creek, near Ingrams Road, Research
One Buff Banded Rail seen foraging amongst dead blackberry canes in the creek line.
Marian Weaving

Swift Parrots Karingal Hub Shopping Centre Car Park (Frankston)
About 20 birds still in the eucalyptus in the car park after about a month.
Alison Kuiter

Pallid Cuckoo Clarkesdale Bird Sanctuary Linton Victoria
A Pallid Cuckoo was heard calling this morning at 7am.
David Coutts

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.