birding-aus

Illawarra Birders Boat Trip

Subject: Illawarra Birders Boat Trip
From: terrill nordstrom <>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:51:14 +1000
Twenty members of Illawara Birders enjoyed a short boat trip from Wollongong
Harbour today on board the Sandra Kay with SOSSA as our guide.
The main purpose of the trip was to give members a chance to experience a
pelagic trip without having to spend a full day being tossed about, and for
some being sick for nine hours. We headed out of the harbour with a
gathering flock of Silver Gulls, these were soon followed by several
Black-browed Albatross and not long afterwards by White-fronted Terns. A
single Brown Skua paid us a visit, the boat was stopped, so Lindsey Smith
could catch and band the bird, two Black-browed Albatross were also caught
and banded and not long after this, Shy and Yellow-nosed Albatross were
flying pass the boat. After going 14km out we headed to Five Islands where
we observed Australian Pelicans and White Ibis nesting on the top of the
main island. Fur seals were observered swimming pass the boat or sunning
themselves on the island, there was also large numbers of Flutting
Shearwaters flying pass. After that we returned to harbour and a single
Bottlenose Dolphin was seen swimming in the harbour, some members then had
lunch at the local fish and chip shop. For such a short trip we were all
happy with the species we observered.          regards Terrill