birding-aus

Jonathan Franzen at Melbourne Writers Festival

To: <>
Subject: Jonathan Franzen at Melbourne Writers Festival
From: "SeanDooley" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 00:46:04 +1000
G'day all,

There is a story in today's Age (
<http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/books/top-of-the-pecking-order-franz
ens-fame-in-full-flight-20110824-1jaaw.html>
http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/books/top-of-the-pecking-order-franze
ns-fame-in-full-flight-20110824-1jaaw.html) about the keynote speaker at the
Melbourne Writers Festival, Jonathan Franzen, being a keen birder.

What the article didn't mention is that Jonathan is also doing a session at
the Festival about birds and writing on Saturday afternoon at 4 in the BMW
Edge at Federation Square. The moderator will be Michael Veitch and the
other guest panelist will be me. This is the biggest venue in the festival
and there are still some tickets left so if you are in Melbourne it would be
well worth making a booking. Franzen is a seriously good writer and in his
latest novel, "Freedom" one of the main characters is involved in a scheme
to protect habitat for the Cerulean Warbler in Virginia. He also wrote a
brilliant piece on birdwatching in the New Yorker a few years ago.

The guy is a major literary figure (he has even had a cameo in The Simpsons-
you can't get much bigger than that!) and has the Melbourne literatti
buzzing with his appearance at the festival. So unsurprisingly, it is a
pretty safe bet that the majority of people at the session won't be there to
listen to a guy who's written a couple of books about birdwatching in
Australia. But I thought I would let Birding-aussers know it was on so that
there may be some in the audience at least who won't be hissing at the idiot
birder to shut up and let Franzen speak!

Keep on twitchin'

Dools