birding-aus

Princess Parrot flight patterns and behavior

Subject: Princess Parrot flight patterns and behavior
From: "Donald G. Kimball" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 10:31:01 -0700
One of the issues that came up for me in my Princess parrot search was
simply what to look for.  Would I find them sitting postured parrallel with
the branch in a gum tree?  Would they be flying over dunes or simply hiding
amongst the spinifex clumps.  I had no clue.  Also being from North America
I had never even been in Australian desert habitat until my excursion in
2008.  As good fortune would have it I got to enjoy Princess with 2
sightings and of course as many know about 15 minutes of filming.  If anyone
would like to see princess flight patterns (they are flying in several
segments of my film) and perched and hidden in desert Casuarina I suggest
you might want to check them out by getting your own copy of the DVD series.
 Also there is a considerable amount of calling, both flight calls and
simply contact calls where 2 birds get isolated from their flock and
constantly call to them which gives me goose bumps even today when I watch
the footage. This may be a bit of a plug but I know I would have loved to
have had anything to watch before heading out to see them so that I could
study flight patterns and behavior.  You can check this out on my website if
you so wish.

http://polytelismedia.wordpress.com/

Cheers and all  the best to my Aussie mates

Don Kimball