birding-aus

Long Reef, Sydney 21 Aug 2011

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Long Reef, Sydney 21 Aug 2011
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 10:32:50 +1000
Hi all
I spent about 2hrs at Long Reef, northern Sydney, this morning from 6:30 to
8:30, mostly to see if anything interesting was offshore with the strong
South-Easterly blowing.  Lots of Gannets were seen and about 25 Wedge Tailed
Shearwaters working their way south (so the one seen on last Saturday's Sydney
Pelagic was not that far ahead of his brethren).  Quite a few Albatross -
mostly Black Browed but some Yellow Nosed, and one Wandering and one Shy came
in very close while I was on the reef itself (and several more further out
too).  Also further out was a steady southbound stream of Fluttering (Type)
Shearwaters - mostly in 2s and 3s, but every so often in a bigger wheeling
pack.  Several Brown Skuas were also seen, and a long way out a possible Cape
Petrel heading north, so I lost it as it passed in front of the sun.
On the Reef itself, it was very quiet, with 11 Sooty Oystercatchers, 4
Turnstones, 2 White Faced Herons and 1 Pelican of note. The latter was right at
the end, but I think it was there for possible fish offerings from the rock
fishermen.  I couldn't find the smaller waders - I thought they may have been
snugged in amongst the rocks on the south side to shelter from the breeze, but
as the tide pushed into and flooded that area nothing small came out, so I
wonder where they have gone to escape the wind?
Lots of Ravens on the reef and the headland - upwards of 40 (although hard to
count as they were wheeling about all over the place), plus the regular Kestrel
2 pipits and wattlebirds.
Cheers
Tom Wilson