birding-aus

Top ten

Subject: Top ten
From: David Kowalick <>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:31:10 +0930
Hi Bird -heads

Of course these "Top-Ten" lists are very subjective but are always interesting and a lot of fun. I like to see what places other people believe are worth travelling to.

Anyway here's my list

  1. Kakadu NT– it’s pretty hard to go past this National Park as one
     of the premier birding areas in Oz with plenty of NT endemics and
     great scenery as well
  2. Cairns region/Kingfisher Park QLD– Again lots of endemics and
     great country
  3. Cheynes Beach WA - Beautiful place and easy access to some of
     Australia’s rarest birds
  4. Bruny Island TAS – In summer this little island has easy access to
     all the Tassy endemics plus some of the hard-to-get mainland
     species as well, Pink robin, Swift Parrot, Olive Whistlers.
  5. Lamington National Park QLD – No matter how many times you go here
     Lamington takes your breath away and top birds too.
  6. Gluepot SA – I have been to Gluepot on numerous occasions and it
     just keeps on delivering.
  7. Birdsville / Strzelecki tracks SA – Brilliant birding and amazing
     country easily the best outback birding.
  8. Capertee Valley NSW – The range and number of birds in this gem of
     a place is mind boggling.
  9. Werribee VIC – Phenomenal birding and plenty of vagrants to keep
     you on your toes.
 10. Hattah Lakes VIC – rare birds and beautiful Riverina scenery

I imagine I would put Iron range and Broome on the list but have yet to visit these areas.

Cheers

David Kowalick