birding-aus

Mobile phone for the travelling Birder

To: Birding-Aus Aus <>
Subject: Mobile phone for the travelling Birder
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 12:44:17 +1000
Dear B-A,

For those who are not aware of them, I would like to draw attention to the new, low cost dual SIM card mobile phones. They are great for OS travel. You can have your normal SIM in them, so that you are contactable on your ordinary number while on the move and you can pick up a SIM from a local provider and slip it into the phone with your Australian SIM. The savings are considerable. For example, I am going to Malaysia soon, so I will pick up a SIM when I arrive. For me to call back to Australia on my normal providers SIM is AUD 3.00 per minute, while using a Malaysian provider will cost around AUD 0.30 per min. I have found that most, if not all Asian service providers have similar rates. There is one problem with these phones, though. They do not seem to handle going through a washing machine whilst turned on.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford