birding-aus

Resident Rail?

Subject: Resident Rail?
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 08:47:21 +1000
G'day David & others

Buff-banded Rails are often found at Wurundjeri Walk (Fulton Rd Blackburn South) & that is a good deal closer than Blackburn Lake. However, rails can fly a long way - usually at night. In PNG they used to turn up at a lake high up in Varirata NP for short periods & then disappear again. Just as they would at the three lakes at Pacific Adventist University, on the coastal plain towards Port Moresby.

Black-fronted Dotterels also fly at night. I did some work on them in NZ and found that they would feed in the sludge ponds at the Freezing works until about 50 mins after sunset then fly off to sleep on the shingle beds of the Manawatu River. They would leave the river at least an hour before sunrise to return. I have heard them flying over in the middle of the night at least once in Australia. Come to think of it swans & ducks often fly at night.

At least you can see these rails in your own yard, I have to go over the road to see them.

Cheers

Mike
Michael Tarburton