birding-aus

FW: Cancelled Pelagics and Capertee July 2011

To: <>
Subject: FW: Cancelled Pelagics and Capertee July 2011
From: "Steve Potter" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 17:48:24 +0930
Hi all.

My good friend David Kowalick has never been on a Pelagic yet, so he and I
decided to join the Saturday, July Wollongong Pelagic scheduled for last
weekend. We booked our flights only to have our Saturday evening return
flight cancelled when Tiger was grounded. Having to be back for Sunday we
rebooked for Sunday 6.00am.

We arrived Friday am and discovered Sydney was gripped with a storm
producing 6-8m swells, 50-70k winds and 150mm of rain. Thinking that the
Pelagic would be called off (which it was) we decided to head quickly to
Mistral Point, Maroubra to get Dave at least one Pelagic tick. After some
discussion with David Mittford (from this forum) we located "Maroubra Ray"
who was most helpful despite the rain. Unfortunately the best we could
manage was a distant Black-browed Albatross, some unidentifiable Prions and
a few Silver Gulls.

Undeterred and keen for some quality birding we checked the forecast for
Barron Grounds - Windy as hell, freezing, pouring. Sucks. Central Coast or
Hunter Valley? - same. What about Capertee? Cold but no rain forecast and
light winds. Sweet. Off we headed and after a brief stop in the Blue
Mountains we arrived at the Capertee Valley. A quick scout before dark
produced a large flock of Gang-Gangs and exception views of Painted
Button-quail. Next we headed to Glen Davis to find some of the accommodation
mentioned in Carol Probets most excellent website. Obviously the idea of
signage was not high on the agenda or maybe due to lack of light but we
could find none? This forcing us back to the Capertee Hotel which was an
excellent choice as we were greeted with a hot meal, nice wine, a comfy bed
complete with electric blankets!! The Pub is awesome!! And the men's shower
on the right is brilliant... unlike the one Dave used on the left!

Saturday we were up early and had an amazing time in the Valley which was
cool but dry and no wind in contrast to Sydney. None of the specialties were
seen but a great trip none the less. We also had Rock Warbler.. sorry Dave,
Origma.. next to our feet at Pulpit Rock.

Thanks to those who helped the planning and to Lindsay from SOSSA for
keeping us in the loop.

Cheers

Steve Potter

Adelaide, Australia.

Capertee list: (Sorry for the IOC names...)

1.  Maned Duck

2.  Australasian Grebe

3.  White-faced Heron

4.  Wedge-tailed Eagle