birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 25 Jul 2011 01:31:05 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 24 Jul 2011.

Sun 24 Jul Black-tailed Native-Hen, Zebra Finch, Red-browed Finch, Curlew Sandpiper (breeding plumage) etc. Western Treatment Plant, Werribee.
One Black-tailed Native-Hen at 85WC (Austin Road) Lagoon, not seen at WTP for some time, a flock of 60 to 70 Zebra Finch and 12 Red-browed Finch along Austin Road. A number of Curlew Sandpiper(one in breeding plumage!) with Red-necked Stint and two White-necked Heron at Western Lagoon area. Lewin's Rail, Spotless and Australian(Spotted) Crake near the bird hide (observed with John Barkla, Fred Smith et al).
Peter Gibbons and Dave Torr.

Yellow-tail Black Cockatoos Napier Street, Fitzroy
Big mob of cockies in trees around park at Alexandra Parade end. Near Fitzroy pool.
Josh Henry

Red-Rumped Parrot Melton
Further to reports of large numbers of RRP's I was quite surprised to count 58 Red - Rumped Parrots feeding with House Sparrows on an approx 3.5 metre by 1.5 metre section of nature strip in Christopher Cres, Melton today.
David Whelan

Ground Parrot Mallacoota Airfield
Ground Parrot (1) Found in long grass on the fence line of the aerodrome, on the northern side near the buildings. It was seen well away from the heath. Seen REALLY well for 10mins.
Glen Pacey

Fan-tailed Cuckoo, Rufous Whistler, Flame Robin Woodlands Historic Park (Greenvale)
There was a large mixed species flock in Weerona today, including approximately 20 Flame Robin and surprisingly one Male and one Immature Rufous Whistler. There was also one Fan-tailed Cuckoo on the fence on Somerton Road on the border of the park.
Nicole Spillane & Paul Jacobson

Swift Parrot Teatree Close, Ocean Grove
10-20 Swifties on a daily basis in gums around my home.
Denis Sleep

Sat 23 Jul Buff Banded Rail Old Melbourne rd Marysville
This bird has been seen for some weeks around a house in Marysville and they sent me a picture for ID and there is no doubt. It is around the house and even comes inside to get scraps which I said was a no no, also enjoys a bird bath. There are no dams or swampy areas nearby. ( There is a photo on email but I do not know how to send it to you)
Bob Tate

Red-rumped parrot. Yarra Bend Park, Fairfield. Melbourne.
This male Red-rumped parrot is among the hundreds that I have been observing at Yarra Bend over the last few weeks. Is he a mutant? I have many photos if anyone wants to see more. (Moderators note: this bird does appear to have more yellow in its plumage than usual, which can be described as xanthochromism)
Ruth Minifie

Southern Boobook and 3 Wedge-tailed Eagles Jumping Creek section, Warrandyte State Park
Initially one Wedge-tail circling late morning. It then headed off and joined two other distant birds to the south, possibly the two reported. I only noticed the very well hidden Boobook as a small mixed flock of honeyeaters flew in to feed among the foliage where it was hidden and they started to carry on. Still difficult to see from most angles.
Sonja Ross

Fri 22 Jul Sooty Oystercatcher Picnic Point, Sandringham
At low tide today (1230) 4 Sooty Oystercatchers were feeding on the rocks - a record number for the City of Bayside. This is a prime Bayside (and Port Phillip?) site for them as there were at least six previous sightings of 1 or 2 this June and July and, last July, the previous record of 3 birds.
Michael Norris

Red-rumped Parrot Malvern East
A pair of red rumped parrots on the nature strip. I saw a pair about 2 months ago on my garage roof. Never seen them before in 50 years of living here!
Pam Gladstones

Wedge-tailed Eagle Lilydale
Wedge-tailed Eagle (2) mid-day, circling north-west of Maroondah Highway / Mooroolbark Road intersection.
Peter Booth

Thu 21 Jul Australian Wood Duck, Little Raven Fitzroy Gardens, Melbourne
Male Australian Wood Duck observed at a tree hollow in the Fitzroy Gardens. Wood Duck have been present in the gardens for many months and are presumed to be nesting or contemplating it. Little Ravens have commenced nesting near the Swanston Street bridge in the city.
John Barkla

Swift Parrots Muckleford
30 to 40 swifties this morning, saw them bathing in a puddle.
Debbie Worland

Red-rumped parrot Yarra Bend Park, Fairfield. Melbourne.
There are hundreds of red-rumped parrots to be seen feeding in large flocks in Yarra Bend Park at the moment. I saw them first about a week ago, there was one male amongst them who had no red but bright yellow all down his back onto his rump. I did not have my camera with me and have been back several times since trying to get a picture, but have not seen him again. I will keep trying.
Ruth Minifie

Swift Parrot Nagambie 10' Cell
Swift Parrot (1) Possibly 2 Flew into Gum adjacent to Sailing Club , chased off by aggressive Red W'Birds
Colin Mulvogue

Buff-banded Rail Wesburn
Buff-banded Rail (1) mid afternoon, overcast weather, scuttling into reeds, north of rail trail, just east of station platform, not far from last month's sighting.
Peter Booth

Wed 20 Jul Australian King Parrots. Through road, Camberwell.
I saw four King Parrots on the 18th and again on the 20th at the corner of Through road and Netherway street Camberwell. In the area also were, Galahs, Rainbow Lorikeets (of course), Musk Lorikeets and Eastern Rosellas.
Ruth Minifie

Swift Parrots Muckleford
Still at least 20 Swifties this morning, with White-plumed, White naped, Yellow faced ,Yellow-tufted ,Fuscous and New Holland Honeyeaters. Large numbers of aggressive Red Wattlebirds as well.
Debbie Worland

Common Greenshank Murtnaghurt Lagoon
Common Greenshank (7) in shallow water near last houses in west Barwon Heads. Alarm call clearly heard
Angus Hartshorn

Southern Giant-Petrel Melbourne Zoo via Chelsea Beach
The Southern Giant-Petrel that came to the zoo on the 08/07 from Chelsea Beach was successfully nursed back to health by a wildlife carer, apparently loved it's day old chickens. It will be released probably this week off the Nobbies at Philip Island. So nice to hear a success story
Deb Crosby

Striated Pardalote (substriatus), Swift Parrot Newport Lakes Park
Confirmation of the substriatus Striated Pardalote presence today, striatus bird from Monday not seen or heard. Also 5 Swift Parrot flying through to north.
Steve Davidson

Fan-tailed Cucko Clarkesdale Bird Sanctuary Linton Victoria
Fan-tailed Cuckoo calling beautifully at 7.30am this morning in cool, still, overcast conditions.
David Coutts

Tue 19 Jul Brown Falcon Abandoned Meat Works South Kingsville / Altona North
A pair of Brown Falcons feeding at the abandoned meat works in Mills Road Altona North.
Raoul Symons

Crescent Honeyeater Brisbane Ranges National Park
Aqueduct Tk - 1 active and very vocal male - other species at this site ... White-eared Honeyeaters, Eastern Spinebills, New Holland Honeyeaters, Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, Grey Fantails and Buff-rumped Thornbills and at a second site - Lower Stony Ck Picnic Ground - at least 1, possibly 2 more male Crescent Honeyeaters. A rare winter visitor to this location.
Grace Lewis, Craig Morley

Royal Spoonbill Williamstown
Royal Spoonbill (1) am. wading, foraging, close offshore, in shallows
Peter Booth

Mon 18 Jul Lewin's Rail Village Glen, Rosebud West
It turned up in the Village Glen on the 18th.
Celia M. Browne per Mike Carter

Swift Parrot Boggy Creek, Bullumwaal via Bairnsdale
An unprecedented 100+ Swift Parrots were observed feeding in eucalypts at Boggy Creek this morning. Such a large number has not been recorded by EGBOC members previously and follows on from earlier but much smaller numbers noted in the same area late last week.
12 EGBOC members per Len Axen

Wedge-tailed Eagle (pair) panmure victoria
Resident pair, investigating an already dead beast.
Lisette Mill

Sat 16 Jul White-bellied Sea-Eagle, Painted Button-quail Brisbane Ranges NP - Cooks track
White-bellied Sea-Eagle (1) flying over private land, then Cooks tk, then northwards along Eclipse Rd. Cackling loudly. Looked like a sub-adult, but light wasn't good and it was moving fast so sighting was brief. Very large. Painted Button-quail (6) or more, in group in forest. Moved away on foot at first, in all different directions. Another two flushed from behind a big tree when I approached. A wonderful sighting - I've never seen so many together before
Janine Duffy

Buff-banded Rail Chesterfield Farm, Scoresby
Buff-banded Rail (1) 7.40am, heavy frost, foraging near Lomandra longifolia (Mat Rush), 20 metres north of cycle bridge, at south-east corner of farm, near Eastlink
Peter Booth

Fri 15 Jul Inland Dotterel Neds Corner Station
10 birds observed on the saltbush plains.
Doug Robinson

Little Penguin, Australian Crake, Buff-banded Rail Western Treatment Plant
On a flat calm afternoon at Beach Rd, peered out to sea & noticed a distant object. I immediately thought Little Penguin, which was confirmed when I scoped it up. A scan produced 6 penguins on the water! These are the first I've seen here! Also saw a pod of Bottlenosed Dolphins. On LIttle River just before where road forks with Lake Borrie track saw 3 Australian Crakes & 3 Buff-banded Rails. About 20 Red-necked Avocets flying out to sea at Little River mouth.
Kevin Bartram

Wed 13 Jul Caspian Tern Lake Walla Walla, Murray Sunset National Park
Seven birds present.
Doug Robinson

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.