birding-aus

New Pelagic Trip this October

To: Richard Baxter <>, birding-aus threads <>
Subject: New Pelagic Trip this October
From: David James <>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 23:35:30 -0700 (PDT)
That sounds like an adventure. In 1993 I spent 3 days in a storm in
Commonwealth Bay with winds of >100 knots and waves peaking at 17 m. It was
perpetually dark (so much for the midnight sun!) and the windows were covered
in ice. we had to avoid icebergs by radar, growlers (submerged berg remnants
that remove propellers) by crossing our fingers, and uncharted reefs by trying
to stay in the same area (this meant turning broadside to the sea every hour).
Happily the 95 m, 4,000 tonne ice breaker Aurora Australis was up to the task
and pulled through without serious incident. But there was no sleep for 3 days,
about 90 of the 100 passengers and crew were delirious with perpetual
seasickness, and some underwent trauma counselling from the relentless fear of
death. Others drank gin all the way back to port. And there were no birds!

I'm sure the crew of the Xplore know what they are doing, but I hope you don't
encounter these sorts of conditions on the Heard I expedition, because life
rafts are no use down there.

David James,
Sydney