birding-aus

Dipidus

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Dipidus
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:48:43 +1000
Hi all,

Regarding my previous email I have received numerous replies from people
claiming to have antedotes or cures for Pelagidipphobia. What these people
don’t realise is that many eminent professors and PhD students have studied
the condition and noted its strong Pavlovian aspect. This makes claims of
cures and antidotes very suspect and they should be avoided.

Because a sufferer never knows on which trip the reward of a rarity will
occur they have a manic Pavlovian response to participate in all events.
They also become totally delusional. For example, if an Atlantic Petrel is
seen one weekend they will immediately book a trip the following weekend in
the vain attempt to find it. The only known time this tactic has proved
successful is with the recent Great Shearwater Event.

Sadly, the Great Shearwater Event (known now in scientific papers as the GSE
and not to be confused with the GFC) had disastrous effects because Dipitus
sufferers now quote the event to justify desperate behaviour patterns such
as going looking for New Zealand Storm-petrels in areas where they have
never been seen, such as off Eden.

As I said previously, there is no known cure. One just needs to learn to
mange the condition and go on as best one can.

By the way, I have heard through the Dipitus Support Network (DSN) that both
Light-Mantled and Sooty Albatross will be seen on this month’s Port
MacDonnel meeting and Grey-headed Albatross and Broad-billed Prion have been
guaranteed for the Eden Meeting, which Marlene and I will be attending.

Cheers and may the sea gods and goddesses smile on all upcoming Dipidus
meetings.

Jenny