birding-aus

A day in Alice Springs

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: A day in Alice Springs
From: "Penny Evans" <>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 14:15:38 +1000
Dear all

I have just returned from a trip to Central Australia, including, on 10 July, a
full day of guided birding in Alice Springs with Mark Carter. The day started
at 7.30am and ended around 7.00pm, and was really excellent.

Mark went to a lot of trouble to plan a day which suited me, and to target the
birds I hoped to see. Ultimately we were very successful, and I picked up 9
'lifers', and also had great views of birds I had seen only fleetingly in the
past.

I have travelled to this area previously, and had seen many of the 'easy to
see' birds of the Centre. However Mark, with his local knowledge and great
birding skills,  found birds which I would not have found.

We had great views of male and female Dusky Grasswren, Rufous-crowned Emu Wren
(3 males together), Orange Chat, White-backed Swallows and Spinifexbird on
Santa Theresa Road. There were Inland, Yellow-rumped and Slaty-backed
Thornbills at Simpson's Gap together with great view of a pair of Redthroat and
a beautiful Grey Fantail showing off its while tail. We had Spotted Crakes
galore at the Sewerage Ponds as well as White-backed Swallows circling with a
metre of us at waist height. Then off to Kunoth Bore on the Tanami Road for
raptors, including a Spotted Harrier and a group of 8 Bourke's Parrots at
sunset.

We looked for Grey Honeyeater without success. Mark is concerned that, despite
the boom conditions of the last 18 months or so, these birds have not
increased, and may have declined due to competition from a big population of
Brown Honeyeaters.

My list for the day follows:

Red-capped Plover
Black-fronted Dotterel