birding-aus

Whites Road

To: <>
Subject: Whites Road
From: "Tony Russel" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 15:57:48 +0930

Further to the report of an Intermediate Egret in one of the Whites Rd ponds
yesterday my partner, Pam Jones,  and I took off at lunchtime today to see
whether we could find it.

Rather than being in the most western pond it was in the most northern one
towards the north end of Whites Rd.  Of course we'd walked all the way round
before Pam spotted it very close to the bank adjacent to the access road we
were on, so we had very close views of it. No pictures because Pam had left
her LX5 at home, but we did get very close views of the green patch which
did not go past the rear of the eye. Orange/yellow bill, blackish legs,
forehead a bit steeper than a Great, and in any case much too small for a
Great - about the same size as a White-faced Heron.

A good bird for South Aust.

The next pond to this had about 30 Royal Spoonbills and many Coots, Black
Duck, a couple of Hardheads, about a dozen Aust Grebe, lots of Chestnut
Teal,  one Black Swan, a Little Grassbird, and a few Ravens and Crested
Pigeons.

Other wet areas had Purple Swamphen, Red-kneed Dotterel, Red-fronted
Dotterel, one family of Superb Fairy Wrens, one Singing Honeyeater, one
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike, a few Silver Gulls and House Sparrows, many New
Holland Honeyeaters,  one Yellow-rumped Thornbill, several Shelduck, and a
few White Ibis.

Not a bad haul for a one hour walk round.

Tony