birding-aus

Mangrove Gerygone at Port Douglas and board walk near Cairns Airport

Subject: Mangrove Gerygone at Port Douglas and board walk near Cairns Airport
From: Patrick Scully <>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 17:59:17 +1000
Hello All,
I have returned from a trip to FNQ and in catching up on the birding-aus
posts noticed the trip report by Chris Gregory. You saw some great birds
Chris.  I'm envious of the Golden Bowerbird and the Fernwren, both of which
I dipped on. I was really interested in Mangrove Gerygone at Port Douglas
that you mentioned. Is the area that you saw them on the track by the
railway that starts by the Marina railway station? I walked along this area
where the road goes into a marina where you can purchase petrel and there is
a football oval over the road. Where the road crosses the railway line there
is a track with just a little area of mangroves. I'm wondering if this is
where you saw them? Deb and I and bubs loved Port Douglas and may return
there next year. If so I'd love to get this bird.
Does anyone know if the board walk near Cairns Airport is a good spot for
the Mangrove Gerygone and is it possible to see any Lemon-bellied
Flycatchers as well.
Happy birding,
Patrick Scully.