birding-aus

Radar Birds

To: <>
Subject: Radar Birds
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 15:40:26 +1000
My brothers travel from Geelong to work at Laverton so I sent the original message to them. This is their observations, which I have sent to Lynda
Wendy

"Wendy
most days ( morning and after noon )we pass large v's, flights and
clouds of birds just SW of Werribee. They are usually circling in
thermals coming and going from the blue stone quarry / Wyndham City
Waste Depot on Wests rd.( it appears ).  When leaving they climb then
head south.  While large groups leave at the end of a day you can also
see descending spirals of birds heading back to the tip well into the
afternoon.  Not sure if the massed flights are gulls or ibis.  They like
to thermal up to great height before making the southern track.

Pelicans frequent this route but tend to hug the ground, often battling
the sea breeze or a westerly to clear the power lines and plantations
along the freeway, while following Lollypop Creek.   Heading tip ward
just west of the FWY they glide at head height over the canola field
between Wests Rd and Princes Fwy, often in V's of 3 .. 10 birds.
Pelicans always seem to head north in the morning and south in the after
noon, like they are spending the day at the tip, and nights back in the
sewerage farm.
On a few occasions Lindsay and I have seen a V of pelicans with 3 or 4
ibis in one of the arms, crossing the freeway.

I'm not sure if the clouds of ibis/gulls would be travelling back to the
treatment plant or further a field, they do come in and leave well clear
of the ground, un like the pelicans.

Also .. Possibly towards summer, the last time I was in Queenscliff, (
.....), ...... From the new observation tower near the ferry terminal, we were seeing very large v's of birds, ibis I thought, heading inland at about mid morning.

///////     John Moore   "