birding-aus

Help required in identifying seabird.

To: "Paul Walbridge" <>, <>
Subject: Help required in identifying seabird.
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 13:49:04 +1000
Neil Shelley kindly brought the frozen Prion to my home this morning. In the hand, my initial ID from the photographs as a Slender-billed Prion was immediately confirmed by the slender nature of the bill with concave sides, no visible lamellae and black on undertail restricted to a narrow black line down the centre. But we still got out two sets of callipers, numerous books and papers and poured over them for well over an hour and compared the bill shape to numerous published diagrams, all of which pointed unquestionably to that conclusion. However, there was significant discrepancies between the references regarding bill measurements. Neil and I agreed on the following dimensions (mm) for his specimen, each of which are either slightly above or towards the upper limit for this species but too small for Antarctic Prion and are out of the ball-park for Salvin's Prion. the very fresh specimen will be deposited at Museum Victoria, Melbourne.
Bill length: chord of exposed culmen from tip to feathers 28.5, to skull 35.
Bill depth: at point level with base of culmen, 11.4 and at immediately at front of nostrils 7.7, i.e. not at its shallowest point.
Bill width: at point level with base of culmen, 11.4.
It doesn't help when several sources don't advise or aren't clear as to how or precisely where on the specimens their dimensions were measured. Some were evidently made at a non-conventional point. For instance in HANZAB Volume 1 bill depth for Prions is obviously at a point ahead of the nostrils contrary to the instruction given on page 37. I'm sure such advice is there somewhere but I couldn't find it. Also typo's such as that on page 540 under 'Recognition' for Slender-billed Prion, 'Bill measurements average 26.5 mm long, 14 mm wide'! That 'average' is 1.5 mm larger than the widest reported therein!

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136