birding-aus

Blue-winged Parrots at lunch

To: bird <>
Subject: Blue-winged Parrots at lunch
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:43:40 +1000
We went to Flynn's Winery (Lewis Rd, Northern Hwy 15 km from Heathcote) for lunch yesterday and saw a dozen or so Blue-winged Parrots. As we arrived they flushed from mown grass into a tree in front of the Bistro. As we ate our lunch, I kept the tree under my eye, also noticing a pair of Restless Flycatchers and a pair of Jacky Winters which visited the same tree, in between flights among the vines. Eventually the Blue-wings flew out of the tree, towards the Highway - some perched on top of the trellis poles so I could get quite a good if distant view of them. Yes, of course I took my binocs in to lunch! Ample room for them on the window-ledge. We also saw a young Wedgetail flying in the middle distance, under heavy attack from a pair of Magpies. And we had a very nice lunch too.

Anthea Fleming