birding-aus

sightings

To: <>
Subject: sightings
From: "wendy dunn" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:00:09 +1000

  _____

Hi,

I'm not a subscriber, but do go through the Birding-aus achieves from time
to time, however I  thought the readers may be interested in some recent
sightings of Grey Falcons in western Qld.

The first bird was seen on 17/6/11 about 30 feet above our heads at the red
sand Dunes 12 kms west of Windorah on the Birdsville development road.
There were many raptors gliding and circling above the dunes, mostly Black
Kites. Some Whistling kites, Little Eagle, Brown falcons light and dark
morph, kestrel, and two Spotted Harriers hunting below on the plains, after
about 20 minutes of watching, a Grey Falcon flew in as well but only stayed
a minute or less.

The Next sighting was at Bladensburg Nation Park just south of Winton (Qld)
on 19/6/11, our bird watching group was setting up camp when the bird was
spotted perched near by, this time we could set the scope on the bird and
got very good views. It was an immature bird; it stayed in place for about
15/20 minutes before flying. Two days later on the 21/6/11 we saw two Grey
Falcons perched near Skull hole, another location in the same park. One flew
before we could get good detail but the other remained, this bird too was
immature, we don't know if it was the same bird as previously seen, however
this time there had been two birds together. Then would you believe it,
another sighting from two of our group was seen on 22/6/11 on the track
leading out of the park and heading towards Lark Quarry.  This bird was
perched low down at eye level from the vehicle.  Maybe the same bird but
hard to tell, it too was immature.

Most of our group of 8 birdwatchers had seen Grey Flacons before and weren't
necessarily looking for them. I feel I should apologies to all the keen
birders who spend a lot of time unsuccessfully looking for this species, I
guess its all about being in the right place at the right time. Cheers,
Wendy Dunn

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======