birding-aus

Port Augusta to Perth

To: "Maxime Zucca" <>, <>
Subject: Port Augusta to Perth
From: "Rosemary Royle" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 11:02:55 +0100
Hi Maxime,

Very interesting report. We did a similar trip in reverse last October/November
and there were some interesting differences.

First, we never managed to see Purple-gaped Honeyeater at all. Not surprising I
guess as it is nomadic and there was little eucalyptus in flower when we were
there.

Fairy wrens - I notice how easily you found Blue-breasted and Red-winged Fairy
Wrens. We struggled with both of these, and when we did see them it was just a
skulking pair. I assume that our timing meant that we were there just as they
were breeding and they were keeping a low profile. Fairy wrens are  probably
easier when they are in noisy family groups - as indeed were the species in the
interior and the north, which had already bred.

I am glad you went to Arno Bay - we thought we might have been the only
birdwatchers ever to have been there! The (miniscule) community deserve support
for developing their boardwalks and protecting the mangroves and saltmarsh. We
walked around in the wind and blowing rain and were dive-bombed by a butcher
bird for our pains!

Interesting that the ranger at Two Peoples Bay told you not to walk on the
hills - we noticed that the tracks, which looked great for walking along, had
chains across and "No Entry, Dieback" signs on - we weren't sure if this meant
just for vehicles or also for pedestrians - to be on the safe side, we didn't
walk along them and it appears we were right to do so. Could anybody else on
the list clarify this?? (The tracks above Two Peoples Bay are recommended for
WW and WB).

Thanks for the post

Rosemary Royle
Wales, UK