birding-aus

Emperor Penguin Taken into Captivity

To: "'Manu Tours'" <>, <>, "'Simon Mustoe'" <>, "Robert Inglis" <>
Subject: Emperor Penguin Taken into Captivity
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 15:00:12 +1000
Hello Tony,

I accept your point but I do not see a suggestion from Bob that it was
taken into captivity because of actual stress from bird watchers
although there is a hint that many would like to go and see it. This
action clearly was taken because the bird was distressed, probably hot
and starving and seen on TV news as eating sand. I suspect that Bob's
comment was in response to Simon's comment (below) that implies at least
to me (but I may be wrong) that somehow the potential twitching
opportunity of "perhaps the biggest potential rarity of the year for
ANYWHERE in the world" to see the bird would be in some strange way
diminished by it being taken into captivity. Although any of you may be
teasing, I think there is a bit of sarcasm in there, at Simon's possible
suggestion, as though it is wrong to rescue the bird and thus prevent
bird watchers seeing it untouched before it dies.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From:
 On Behalf Of Manu Tours
Sent: Saturday, 25 June 2011 11:30 AM   To:

Hi Bob,

I think you'll find you've got your story wrong here! The decision to
leave
the bird had nothing to do with bird watchers but was a decision taken
by
the NZ Department of Conservation. While the bird appeared to be in good

health they didn't intervene. Bird watchers might be guilty of
inappropriate
behaviour at times but not in this case. The vast majority of people
that
turned up to see the penguin were just general public just interested in

viewing nature. The twitching community in NZ is very small and has no
influence on this sort of thing!

Cheers,

Tony Wilson.