birding-aus

RFI: Mt. Isa, western Qld and NW NSW

To: <>, <>
Subject: RFI: Mt. Isa, western Qld and NW NSW
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 01:36:51 +1030
Hi Grant

Hope you are well.

I agree with Laurie in wondering why you are heading back south via Longreach
from Mt Isa?? Don't do it - you will be seeing similar country to what you've
seen on the way up between Mitchell & Winton...

You will have far greater opportunities for LWKites, Inland Dotterel, Flock
Bronzeings, Gibberchat, Cinnamon Quail-thrush, & Grey Grasswren if you go take
the following route south of Mt Isa & into the great heart of the Qld channel
country.

>From Mt Isa head south to Boulia, then south to Bedourie. Take a short
>side-trip further south of here toward Birdsville to Cuttaburra Crossing of
>Eyre Ck (only about 70kms south of Bedourie). The lignum areas at this
>crossing have been very good to me over the years for Grey Grasswren. I had a
>flock of 50 Pictorella Mannikins here a few years ago too - it's one of those
>not so often birded spots that usually has a surprise or 2. Perhaps even a
>Yellow Chat could be around here for you...You should have a great chance for
>all above species from Mt Isa to this point.
You should try some of the sand dunes of the northern Simpson between here &
Bedourie near Glengyle Stn - there are a couple near the road not far from this
stn (but on the east side of rd). Walk along the tops of some if they are
supporting good 1mtr high sandhill cane-grass & you should find Eyrean
Grasswrens - I've had them once before here in these dunes here, so it's worth
a look...

When almost back to Bedourie head east to Windorah, then se to Quilpie & the
Thargo from there. A longer but much more rewarding way to get to Thargo from
Mt Isa - that's for sure !!
This route takes you through some of the best of the SWQ channel country &
maximises your chances to see LWKItes & others listed above.
Do some driving at night too for the kites & Inland Dotterels, plus you have a
great shot at Bilbies as well. Anywhere at night near riverlines between Boulia
& Thargo are worth keeping a look out for the kites & dotterels especially.

If I were you, spend one less night at Winton & at least one less night at Mt
Isa so you have time for my suggested route. If time permits drive through
Diamantina NP in daylight & at night - exceptional prospects there I would
think at the moment, as it has never disappointed me in 4 trips there after
good seasons... maybe even spend just 2 nights at Mt Isa so you can be sure of
seeing this great spot !!

You will start to see Chirruping Wedgebills once you are south of Windorah.
Rufous Fieldwrens are out of range in SW Qld, so keep that one for west NSW.

Yellow Chats are a very remote chance - in the many many trips in the channel
country I've never seen one in w Qld. My closest success with this sp to here
was at a bore drain on the Ranken Rd on the Barkly T'lands in NT (a good 5-6hrs
drive west of Mt Isa !!). Incidently, at this same site near Connell's Lagoon
in Dec 2008 I had Red-chested BQuail in almost plague proportions!!
I would imagine that you will come across Red-chesteds in your travels,
depending on how much off-track walking you will be doing...
& the chats could be anywhere too out there at the moment, but a good tip is to
check our every bore you pass to check if it has living typha (or similar) as
the chats love this stuff... anywhere west of Winton is possible for Yellow
Chats, but esp the Barklt Tlands & around Boulia-Bedourie-Diamantina-Windorah
areas.

I have 2 further sites for Grey Grasswren that have been great for me.
Certainly, first try the lignum at Noccundra opposite the store/pub/shed near
the camp area & along the lignum stands in this area - they should be there. If
not, head further west to Cooper Crossing on the Thargo-Innamincka Rd. Here
there are myriad lignum-lined channels covering a huge area - the crossing
itself is over 10kms wide from memory, so lots & lots of good habitat for these
guys. Here in 2008 I had good numbers of wintering Blue-winged Parrots, which
I'm pretty sure is the most northern record (in Qld at least) for this
species...

If you need any specific details, just email me directly.

If you've got onto Mick Roderick already about Winton/Lark Quarry/Bladensburg,
then you will have my updated info that I gave him for these spots... eg
Striated Grasswren.

Cheers

Martin Cachard
Cairns