birding-aus

Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos in Collingwood

To: <>, "'BIRDING-AUS'" <>
Subject: Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos in Collingwood
From: "Paul G Dodd" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 18:06:59 +1000
That's interesting, Peter. My office window overlooks part of Albert Park,
just off St Kilda Road in Melbourne. I hadn't noticed YTBCs until
immediately after the Black Saturday bushfires in 2009. In the weeks after
that event, I started noticing flocks of YTBCs in the afternoon, flying in a
northerly direction from Albert Park towards, presumably, Fawkner Park, and
possibly then towards the Royal Botanical Gardens. Flocks were initially a
few birds, then tens, then ultimately more than 200 birds. I started
noticing them flying in the opposite direction early in the mornings. The
birds continued to be present in large numbers throughout 2009 and into
2010. Sometime in 2010 the numbers decreased, and ultimately the birds
disappeared by about April of that year. Over recent weeks, I have noticed
the birds again - in small flocks only (no more than ten birds).

I must admit that I assumed that the sudden appearance of these birds was to
do with the bushfires. I hadn't realised that the number of sightings, and
the quantity of birds was on the increase in Melbourne prior to that time.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria