birding-aus

Slaughter of Australian Camels (Off Topic)

To: "Gary Wright" <>
Subject: Slaughter of Australian Camels (Off Topic)
From: "Jan England " <>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 17:40:10 +1000
Hi Gary,

I realise you are going away but I think you need to visit the centre and to
really see what is happening.  If you think there are more cattle out there
than camels you are very mistaken.  I worked on Newhaven for 6 months and
saw how destructive cmels can be destroying fences, yards and waterholes as
well as the vegetation.  The researchers who worked there for over 20
years proved camels are doubling there numbers every 8 years so it will be
catastrophic for the vegetation in the centre and consequently any birdlife.

Jan