birding-aus

Thornbill Identification Article, Short Story competition, Cassowary Chi

To: <>
Subject: Thornbill Identification Article, Short Story competition, Cassowary Chicks
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 13:37:12 +1000
Hi,

We've just put up an introductory article on Thornbill identification on
Bird-O. It's meant for the beginner and should help people who find this group
tricky.

http://bird-o.com

There's a few other interesting articles up. Phil Gregory has just written a
nice update on the young Cassowaries with some lovely photos. Balangara Films
have just commenced blogging and Nick Hayward explains a bit about the
background to the project on Lyrebirds - we'll also be featuring other exciting
upcoming bird media soon ... watch this space.

For conservation, Til the Last Tree continue their exciting journey on bikes
across Canada ... we're supporting them in their quest and delighted to say
they have now raised 10% of their target of $10,000 for forest conservation.
We've regular updates from Geoff Jones, who's trying to photograph all the
birds in Australia. We're really pleased to be working with Geoff whose work
has already been donated for use by World Vision ... another example of how
Australian birders are quietly helping out behind the scenes.

For anyone who's interested in writing, we've offered to help promote Redbird
Book's short story competition ... information is under 'The Bower' on the
front page. The prize is $100 and the theme is birds.

We continue the tradition of providing blog space in the site for enthusiastic
birders, with something positive to say about Australia's wonderful diversity
of birds ... and of course, diversity of people and ideas that makes this
country and its wildlife very special. If you've got the passion and your
approach fits our purpose, drop us a line. We reach between 10,000 - 20,000
people every few days via Twitter and if content is connected to Wildiaries,
that number increases with up to a million page impressions a month. Then
there's Facebook and the website traffic plus, we're forging strong links with
the birding community around the world.

We hope you enjoy the site as much as we do.

Just a quick thanks to Alan McBride for all his hard work. Alan spends many
hours on this side-project and like all of us involved in Bird-O, to date has
done it entirely for the love of it. It's why I sit here right now, doing
updates on a bank holiday Monday afternoon!

Happy birding,

Simon.

Simon Mustoe
Tel: +61 (0) 405220830 | Skype simonmustoe | Email

Visit BIRD-O at http://www.bird-o.com
Follow BIRD-O on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/birdodotcom
Like BIRD-O on Facebook? Visit
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Bird-O/117732794921095