birding-aus

Short trip report from North Queensland

Subject: Short trip report from North Queensland
From: Isabella Mannix <>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 12:53:14 +1000
Hi Martin, Chris,

As a rainforest guide in the region for two years in the mid 90's, I had the
enviable job of guiding guests from a nearby lodge around the Mossman Gorge
circuit 3 or 4 mornings a week.  We would arrive at the Gorge around 7:15 in
the morning, so was often the first vehicle in the carpark.  Being the first
group around the circuit certaintly had advantages for seeing wildlife, and
I have some great memories from those walks, including the beautiful Boyd's
Forest Dragons, displaying male Riflebirds and facing off with the odd feral
pig.

I have 4 records of Fernwren from my time tin the Mossman Gorge, in May,
June, July and September of 1996.  At the time I was also of the opinion
that this was a seasonal migration down from the higher altitude areas above
the gorge itself.

There were a couple of other species that I'd classified as altitudinal
migrants. I had two records of Chowchilla, another highland species, in May
1995 and September 1996.  Grey-headed Robin also fell into this catagory,
with only 5 records, all between May and July of 1996.

A beautiful place in a fascinating part of the world.  I hope to get back up
to visit before too long.

Regards,

Steve Mannix