birding-aus

Interesting birds at Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge June 9th

To: "" <>
Subject: Interesting birds at Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge June 9th
From: Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge <>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 09:46:45 +1000
Hi Folks,
A few interesting birds have been around the Lodge in the last few days, a Black Bittern was foraging alongside the rock wall on Bushy Creek by the Platypus viewing area (Platypus spotlighted here a few days ago). We have one previous record of Black Bittern here in June, that was in 2006. Little Kingfisher was at the Crake Pool in our orchard last evening for a few hours, seen two weeks ago here and before that in 2008. A juvenile Eastern Koel flew into a palm tree last night, when it was quite dark and ate a few palm seeds before going into the crown of the palm, presumably to roost as we watched it for a further five minutes and it did not emerge, we have no records in the last six years for this species at this time of year, closest record was beginning of May. Male and Female Lovely Fairy-wren foraging in the adjacent nursing home in bamboo alongside Bushy Creek, perfect plumage and getting ready for breeding as they foraged and perched side by side. great time of year with fantastic weather.

Cheers,
Lindsay & Keith.

--
    Keith&  Lindsay Fisher
    Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge

Winner: Wet Tropics 2010 Cassowary Award for Nature Based Tourism