birding-aus

Silver Gull - 1st immature breeding.

To: "'David James'" <>, "'birding aus'" <>
Subject: Silver Gull - 1st immature breeding.
From: "Mark and Amanda Young" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 19:39:58 +1000
G'day David,

Thanks for the awesomely elaborate response. You've answered my questions
and provided me with much more. Until your email I never realised that
describing moults and plumage was such a complicated process.

I guess what was confusing me a little is that I assumed that where birds
plumage are referred to as being 1st and 2nd years, I was sub consciously
thinking  of a calendar year rather than the first year of the birds life.
And if I've read what you're saying correctly, these years contain cycles
that aren't necessarily related to a calendar year as we see it as these
birds in some cases may breed most of the year or all year round.

I think I erred this way because I was thinking of birds that have a
definite breeding time period every calendar year, and what I've now learned
is that their cycle of moult, can be expected at certain times of the year.
So I guess in those cases them you could reconcile the 1st and 2nd year
plumages with the calendar year, but not so with Silver Gulls in Sydney.

The background about Dwight and   and the differences in the models
explain so much. I was conversing with someone in the US a few months ago
about birds over there and he tended to use terms I hadn't heard before
like, winter and summer plumage, and referring to eclipse plumage as
alternate plumage, and juvenile as basic plumage. I thought at the time that
it must be what they say over there, but I wonder now if his information was
based on the  model?

Regards,

Mark